Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is this my wheel bearing?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dssenne

dssenne

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • O'Fallon

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:10 PM

My '92 legacy wagon (FWD,auto) has started making a noise and after checking things out and searching here, I'm not sure if it's the wheel bearing or not.
I first noticed it while making hard left turns. It's a scrapping/grinding sound coming from the pass. rear wheel. It sometimes makes it during hard right turns but not as much as left. It doesn't do it while driving straight & doesn't seem to do it when going over bumps. Rapid straight line acceleration doesn't cause it to happen either.
I tried applying the breaks (including the parking break) while turning to see if that made a difference, but it didn't seem to.
When I jack up the car and spin the wheel I get some rubbing from the brakes, but doesn't seem excessive, nothing like what you hear turning. Nothing with the brake assembly seems loose.
Also when jacked up, there's no looseness when I grab the tire & try to wiggle it. No clunking or other noise when doing that.
When it happens it sounds like something with the brakes/caliper rubbing on the rotor, but as I say it only happens on hard turns. It's that kind of metal on metal sound.
At first I thought it was the wheel bearing, but before I spend the time/money replacing that I'd like to be fairly sure that's the problem. I've been getting hit with a lot of repairs lately on both our cars.
What does it actually sound like when a bearing is beginning to fail?
I assume if that's the problem it will get progressivly worse/louder. If that's it will it begin to be noticable while driving straight too?
Thanks for any suggestions.

#2 soobmater

soobmater

Got Mud?

• Members
  • 1,668 posts
  • South Bend

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:58 PM

That sounds like exactly what my car was doing when the wheel bearing went out. I let mine get pretty bad, everytime i touched the throttle a little bit, it would do it.. I'm pretty sure that your wheel bearing is going out though, because thats how mine started, then a couple months later i replaced it, should of faster but i didnt..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users