Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bringing life back to EA81 4WD bumpers

GoldDiggerRoo

Here's my trick for turning those grey EA81 4WD bumpers black again, like they're supposed to be.

I've done this on several cars and noticed that it usually works a little better if you clean the bumper with WD-40 really good a day or so before. You can either spray hWD right onto the bumper and wipe it in or spray some onto a rag and rub it on, but I've found that spraying it right on works better due to the texture of the bumper.

My next secret weapon:

backtoblack.jpg

Mother's Back To Black:

Remeber to SHAKE WELL and the pour a little onto a terry cloth rag or an old towel, the directions on the bottle say a "quarter sized" drop, but you can feel free to use more, it'll take a lot. Then take the rag and rub the B2B in with a circular motion. The directions also say wait until the product dries to a hase to remove it (like wax) but if your bumpers are anything like mine, you're gonna need 2/3 or more coats of this stuff....so on the first couple coats, it's going to be soaking in more than drying, I'd wait 30/45 seconds and then remove it with a clean cloth again using a circular motion.

You do have to be paitent with this stuff, it's sometimes uneven looking, but most of these bumpers have had no treatment for 20+ years. After a good rain some of the grey will come back, but even this eventually will go away with continued treatment (once a month, every other month).

Here's a few pics from my '87 Hatch, you can tell a major difference.

Good luck!

Before:

100_1188.jpg

During:

100_1195.jpg

100_1197.jpg

After:

100_1199.jpg