Ultimate Subaru Message Board

problems with brakes '81 hatch (man who cursed me?)

Alright, so i go to bleed my brakes, and i instantly break the bleeder valve off. I take it to a friends shop, and break an easy out in the hole. After many failed tries to get the ********** out of the hole, we give up. I now have that hole completly sealed off. no longer usable.

my question is, should i try to bleed the brakes by undoing the main brake line? would this be an effective way to bleed my brakes, or should i just give in and go buy another caliper.

by the way this happened to the drivers side front caliper on my 1981 hatch.

thanks for reading

donny

its possible to bleed the brakes by the line if you have the bleed point higher than the fluid.'

dismount the caliper and turn it up on its side, with the banjo bolt on the line to the caliper facing you.

crack the line from there. it will get most of the ait out of the caliper. there might be a little air in the line, but the brake will be usable.

the broken bleeder can be drilled and tapped out, its not a lost cause. have the person withthe right tools and the right experience get it out.

you could also change a caliper, the same amount of work.

whatever is most available to you

thanks miles, isn't the brake line going into the caliper at pretty close to the same hight as the bleeder valve? Which would put it above the fluid and should be able to leave the caliper in place to bleed the brakes right?

i am thinking i will go buy another caliper as soon as i can (hopefully by the beginning of the year)

but until then i need to get this working i think...

it should be good to go. at least you can drive. bleed the brake opposite in back, too. being a cross-diagonal brake system.

when working bleeders loose, guve just a little torque to move it. work it back and forthe a few times before doing the bleeding procedure.

also when cracking the bleeders, tap on the wrench with another wrench to help "impact it off" , because if you use too much torque all at once, you will twist the bleeder faster than the threads will let go.