Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

URGENT!! i need help tonight! 86 EA82

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Subaru_Mechanic

Subaru_Mechanic

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:29 PM

no spark??? what else do you need to know?

#2 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,741 posts
  • WV

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:35 PM

no spark where? at the plugs or out of the ignition coil? first step is to determine that. if there's spark from the coil but not at the plugs then your problem is with the distributor cap, rotor, ignition wires or spark plugs. if there's no spark out of the coil then there are a number of possibilities that have increasing levels of difficult to figure out. first i'd swap in another coil and/or FET resistor (the little thingy attached to the coil bracket that bolts and grounds to the strut tower underneath the coil). this FET needs to be grounded well, make sure the bolt is in place and no funny business with the metal there..paint or rust issues?any other recent issues or work done? or the car was fine and then bam...no spark?

what engine/vehicle? carb, FI....etc?

#3 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,741 posts
  • WV

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:37 PM

i just edited my last post, check my more detailed revisions if you were constantly monitoring this thread.

#4 Subaru_Mechanic

Subaru_Mechanic

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:46 PM

i just did an engine swap. and threres no spark outta the coil. there are three wires goin to it two yellow and one black. carb. 1986 coupe EA82 engine

#5 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,253 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:56 PM

have you checked for voltage going into the coil itself

#6 Subaru_Mechanic

Subaru_Mechanic

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:03 AM

dont have a volt meter. but if there wasnt i need to fix it.

#7 grossgary

grossgary

• Members
  • 19,741 posts
  • WV

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:07 AM

on the XT6 there's a ground wire going from the coil to the front drivers side of the engine. i don't know how an 86 EA82 is set up but i'd imagine there's a similar single wire ground wire going somewhere from the coil....is that connected?

this isn't that whacked out carb/ECU weird combo engine is it?

#8 Subaru_Mechanic

Subaru_Mechanic

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:13 AM

ill check, yea it really is odd.:confused:

#9 Subaru_Mechanic

Subaru_Mechanic

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:31 AM

ok nothing happened. the coil has a positive and a negitive. about how many wires go to it and what colors go where? where does the main battery ground go?

#10 Subaru_Mechanic

Subaru_Mechanic

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:27 AM

okay i did a bunch of wire switching and nothing happened. i cant find any info on this either. i just swaped in a new engine and im not gettin any spark. the coil seems dead. what now:confused:

#11 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:06 AM

Get yourself a volt meter, or at the very least a test light, you're not gonna be doing any electrical diag without it.

once you get the proper tools, check for 12 volts at the + side of the coil, and see if that's getting the juice.

After that pull the center wire off of the disty and hold it close to any metal part of the engine, and have a buddy crank over the engine, see if you have spark.

If you have spark there, its an issue with the disty connections, if you don't, your coil or wiring to the coil is bad.

#12 Singlecoil

Singlecoil

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Eatonville

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:42 AM

The yellow wire goes to one of the side posts on the coil, and the black with white stripe goes to the other side post on the coil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users