Ultimate Subaru Message Board

27" tires is to EA82 as XX" tires are to EJ22

Uberoo

the general concensus here is 27" tires on EA82 is right about right,after that you lose hill climbing ability.I am swapping in a EJ22 into my DR 5 speed wagon.What is an aproximate estimate of how big I can go before I lose climbing ability?Will 30"-31 be a good size tire?6" lift oh hell ya!

I run 30's w/ my EJ22. Off road, it's great in Low range. On the street, you have to be a bit carefull with the clutch to get it moving in 2wd hi. If you give it too much gas and let the clutch out too fast, it will break the front wheels free, but it is easier to stall when just driving around. uphill stops can get iffy, the clutch ends up getting the short end of the stick, or you can throw it in low and it's fine.

I run 30's w/ my EJ22. Off road, it's great in Low range. On the street, you have to be a bit carefull with the clutch to get it moving in 2wd hi. If you give it too much gas and let the clutch out too fast, it will break the front wheels free, but it is easier to stall when just driving around. uphill stops can get iffy, the clutch ends up getting the short end of the stick, or you can throw it in low and it's fine.

split the hi-low so you can run it low 2wd thats what Ive done

swap in nissan or divorced adapted toyota tcase... and you'll run it with an ea82 just fine... fix your gearing, and you don't need to compansate by extra power so soon in the game. i'm running 31's on mine with a ccr built ea81. i have no problems. if i can't make it in subaru low, drop into the nissan low and it'll go right up...

My EA82 blew a hG and I became very tired of having to literaly take the engine apart like every day just to keep it running..

That and the EA82 warped both the block and the heads...EJ22 TIME!!

That is an odd injury. would love some photos!

as big as you can fit. modifying your drivetrain would be preferable...but that wasn't the question.

I wouldn't go with more than a 5-6" lift without building a frame under the car (and even that's outside my comfort level, I F#^$ed up a 4" lift). and it would be pretty dumb to build a frame and not mount a tcase to it....

if it were me... 3.5" SJR lift, lots of fender trimming, and 29" swampers.

How much cutting is reuired to fit 29" in the back?I can't really do alot back there.

29" liberator A/Ts at full upflex on a 3" BYB lift:

513more_room-01.JPG

29" swampers on an 3.5" SJR kit would be somewhat similar, since they'd be pulled a bit to the front, but a little extra lift. you might get a bit of rubbing at full travel, but nothing serious.

Well. i don't have an ea82 but......... I do have a similar drivetrain....

Ej22 with an ea82 d/r 5spd so i thought i would chime in............

I have no problem running BFG AT 215/75/15's which are 28.5's . I realistically think with my car if i could stuff them under the struts:-\ (not likely) i could run 31's with hardley any power issues. I can spin my fronts at will on dry pavement now. Not that i do it on purpose. I did it the first time accidentally.

I can also spin all 4 in low with little effort.

Just my exp. Might help................

29" liberator A/Ts at full upflex on a 3" BYB lift:

513more_room-01.JPG

29" swampers on an 3.5" SJR kit would be somewhat similar, since they'd be pulled a bit to the front, but a little extra lift. you might get a bit of rubbing at full travel, but nothing serious.

on the 3.5" SJR lift the rear actually has 4" lift, I am running 225/75 M+S tires on it right now