Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey all,

I am wondering about my 2006 XT OB. I have been reading a bit about HG issues (actually a good friend of mine experienced a blown HG in his '97 2.5 L OB 2.5@ 120k) and I am worrying a bit if this will be the fate of mine

It is a little confusing reading many of the HG threads. Seems like there are two camps, and I apologize if this issue has been discussed ad nauseum:

1) All 2.5's will be prone to HG failures.(but perhaps not the turbo version due to its' "semi open deck design")

2) The problem was fixed circa 2003

Any thoughts/consensus on this, especially as pertaining to important maintenance issues on the XT to avoid this potential problem would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Hey all,

I am wondering about my 2006 XT OB. I have been reading a bit about HG issues (actually a good friend of mine experienced a blown HG in his '97 2.5 L OB 2.5@ 120k) and I am worrying a bit if this will be the fate of mine

It is a little confusing reading many of the HG threads. Seems like there are two camps, and I apologize if this issue has been discussed ad nauseum:

1) All 2.5's will be prone to HG failures.(but perhaps not the turbo version due to its' "semi open deck design")

2) The problem was fixed circa 2003

Any thoughts/consensus on this, especially as pertaining to important maintenance issues on the XT to avoid this potential problem would be appreciated. Thanks!!

What I was told was the Turbo 2.5 are designed and built beefier to handle the higher compression/combustion stresses. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Paul

06' OBW XT 38K

complete non-issue to you. 2006 is way beyond the headgasket issues, fixed circa 2003. i have word from a source close to subaru that can't be named, but is highly respected and affluent in the ways of soobs, that the confirmed date of affected vehicles ends in 2003. he assures me that there are significant numbers of 2003 models with issues hitting the dealer shop floors.