Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The wheels on the sube go "clunk,clunk,clunk"

Hi everyone,

I'm back and baffled again. :confused: This is what's going on;

My "Marhsmallow" (1980 Brat) has been running like a champ since I got her all put back together. Daily driver, no problems. Then things get weird....

On December 20th, driving in the slush and crud and aftermath of a snow storn, I get home from work, (everything working normally, nothing strange going on with the Brat), park the Brat in the garage, and get ready to leave for California the next day. We're gone for a week. Get back home the 28th, have the rest of the week and New Years Day off before I have to be back to work. Anyway, come Tuesday the 2nd, get in the Brat, head out for work, and "CRIKEY'S":eek: .. she's making this god awful clunking and banging noise that sounds like the front end is going to fall out of it. So, I turn around, head for home, put her back in the nice warm garage, and drive the Dodge instead. I thought maybe the lovely salt and crap they put on the roads had caused the brakes or wheels or whatever to glob up and stick. Figure I'd look at it when I got some time. Haven't had much time to do anything with it until today. So, when I get home today, I wheel her out of the garage, and tool on down the road to see WTH is up. It clicks and clacks like something is loose and bouncing off of the wheel as it's turning, (although I can't see anything loose, and the cv boots are not torn or split or anything). It does it when I turn right, but when I turn left, it doesn't clunk, it kind of groans and moans like she's being tortured. WHAT THE HELL????:mad: I did some searches on here and found a a few things to check, like loose brake pads and calipers and such, so I will do that. But, I thought I might fish for anymore helpful hints and tidbits of wisdom that may lead me in a more definite direction as to what may be causing the malady. HELP, I need lot's of it. Thanks is advance. :) Bobby

While you're at it, you might also want to check the big nut under the hub cap that holds the wheel/ brake caliper on. The easiest way to test it is grab the wheel and give it a push pull action. The nut has a collar on it which you use a punch to bend the collar into a slot to keep it from backing out.

I had that nut back out on my 78 brats drivers front wheel but it was making a wierd intermitent squeek noise. I probably would not have noticed the noise if I had not had my window rolled down.

brian

Strong chance it's the brake pad sliding up and down in the holder. As the pad wears, the clearances increase. Combine that with even the slightest warped rotor and you have that noise. Replace the pads.

Todd

Hey Todd, how's it goin'? The brake pads were put on new about 5-6 months ago. I've only driven about 4000 miles since then. Mostly freeway, not a lot of stop and go. Could they be that worn already?? I'm not saying they aren't, just asking what you think. I just find it very strange that everything was working just fine when I parked the car for about 10 days, and then when I try to use it, it goes Kaput... And no-one else had access to it or drove it while I was gone. Twilight zone kinda stuff..... Bobby

While you're at it, you might also want to check the big nut under the hub cap that holds the wheel/ brake caliper on. The easiest way to test it is grab the wheel and give it a push pull action. The nut has a collar on it which you use a punch to bend the collar into a slot to keep it from backing out.

I had that nut back out on my 78 brats drivers front wheel but it was making a wierd intermitent squeek noise. I probably would not have noticed the noise if I had not had my window rolled down.

brian

I'll check on this also. (As soon as I'm out of hibernation :lol:) It's getting more cold and snowy every minute. Not EVEN close to what you guys in Denver had :eek: "shudder", so I guess I'm just being a wimp.

The 'big nut' is the castle nut that holds the hub together. It actually screws onto the axle, but it keeps the rotor and hub together. With this nut loose, you're gonna have a noise like that and risk tearing up the splines on your axle and hub, and worse, damaging your wheel bearing.

Definitely check that, and soon. If you keep driving around on it, you risk damaging something, or worse, having it come apart completely while you're driving :eek: