Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rainy Day Reminiscing - my old Gen 1

Hi everyone - It's been a long time since I've posted here. I have a really bad cold, and cancelled my plans to be outdoors in the rain. I was cleaning around the workshop when I came across an envelope with some old Subie pictures, and I'd like to share them with you! About 25 years ago, when I turned 16, I was given my Grandfathers yellow 1973 Subie GL 1400 Coupe. It was my first car! I only had the car for 3 years, but what great fun I had with her! I also later had an orange coupe, and 3 parts cars. Yo could say I was into it! If I can get the scanner to work, I'll post the pictures. Anyway, over the last few years, I've been (casually) searching for a Gen 1 coupe. I think Paul had a friend out in East Hampton that had one.....BTW Paul I'd love to see some new pics of your 73 Coupe! (I have somewhere some 73 badges and the original BODY STRIPES that came with mine, but were never applied to the car. If interested, let's talk!) And I know somewhere on this board there is a fellow enthusiast in Windsor Locks with some wagons, I live in Enfield. If anyone comes across a Gen 1 - any model - even a 4 door that's up for grabs- I'd love to talk! Thanks, Ray - email me at: ozzieandharriet1@cox.net

Hi Ray,

Yes,I do still have the '73 unrestored.It'll be a while before I can do much with it,but it's here and it's not going anywhere too soon.

Andrew is the young guy in E.Windsor right by the auto auction place.He's got some deal with the guy in E.Hampton,Charlie.I was lined up to take the '75 coupe I told you about,but I guess Andrew has a deal worked out now to take it in the future.Andrew also brought back a '74 or 75 coupe from out west,looks great.So now he's got two or three of them.He's gone above and beyond the call of the average enthusiast and in the last year or so has acquired several early 70's Subarus.He also owns some 360 nonsense.:rolleyes:

Charlie is friends with both of us.Together we three went in on a small lot of old dealer stock from 1968-1979.:) So we should have a good chunk or parts towards each's restorations.Charlie owns a '71 wagon,and other 70's Subarus.

There's a somewhat healthy vintage Subaru population in CT.There's another member here with a '78 4WD wagon,and another CT/RI guy with at least one Gen I Brat.

Keep in touch.Keep searching.

Honestly,the thing to do is pay the money for a transporter and get a solid one shipped from the west.

The 1400's are getting more rare,but I think the thing to do is get a good 1600,later model,like a 79 GF or an FE.Or drop a 1600 into a pre-77.:burnout: