Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

parts list for phase 1 head gasket replacement

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_theotherskip_*

Guest_theotherskip_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2003 - 10:52 AM

after getting a quote from the stealership and a few online parts dealers, there seems to be no concensus about which parts must be replaced, which should be replaced, and are ok to reuse... below is a list i have come up with (it uses some of 99obw's list), and any input into which other parts i should order would be appericated:

the car: 97 legacy ob with a 2.5l

for the head gasket:
i've heard there is an overhaul gasket set...does this contain everything i need?

if not,
front main (crank) seal
cam seals (4)
valve cover gaskets
spark plug hole gaskets
intake & exhaust gaskets

timing belt
water pump & gasket
oil pump o-ring

i'm also doing the clutch at the same time:
clutch disc
pressure plate
pilot bearing
throwout bearing
trans front seal

any advice on parts that don't have to be replaced or others that i have missed would be greatly appericated... thanks

also...the stealership's list price was actually higher that the list price at some of the online places...i thought list price was universal!

#2 Guest_1 Lucky Texan_*

Guest_1 Lucky Texan_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2003 - 11:56 AM

I'm big on chaging anything (of a practical nature) that contacts the TB. I didn't see tensioner on the list.

juat my 2 cents

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

#3 Guest_nuburu2_*

Guest_nuburu2_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2003 - 01:52 PM

Just had mine (HG's)done at a local shop. B4 I left he wanted to show me something of concern on a transmission on the bench. He pointed out the "snout" at the front of the trans, stating that when he separated mine from the motor he noticed the TO bearing and snout were caked with aluminum dust and gunk. He cleaned up the area to find the snout was grooved from the TO bearing travelling up/down it. He replaced the TO bearing and Pilot, sanded the snout, but wanted to let me know so I could be prepared to do something about it when the car needs a lutch.TMALSS I found that this is a common problem and someone, PDM-USA, has a fix. Take a look here for some nice pics and link to PDM;
forums.nasioc.com/forums/...did=394611
Thought you might want to be better prepared than myself!

Glenn O

#4 Guest_theotherskip_*

Guest_theotherskip_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2003 - 02:35 PM

thanks glenn. good to know. i'll look for that when i get the motor off...glad to know there is a simple fix too. any idea on price?

mr. texas: i am planning on doing the water pump, but since the car only has 72k on it, i am planning on reusing the tensioner until the next belt change, assuming it all looks ok...

#5 Guest_nuburu2_*

Guest_nuburu2_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2003 - 03:21 PM

Skip, I understand the part's are $125 +S&H from Colorado.

Glenn O

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users