Ultimate Subaru Message Board

parts list for phase 1 head gasket replacement

Guest theotherskip

after getting a quote from the stealership and a few online parts dealers, there seems to be no concensus about which parts must be replaced, which should be replaced, and are ok to reuse... below is a list i have come up with (it uses some of 99obw's list), and any input into which other parts i should order would be appericated:

the car: 97 legacy ob with a 2.5l

for the head gasket:

i've heard there is an overhaul gasket set...does this contain everything i need?

if not,

front main (crank) seal

cam seals (4)

valve cover gaskets

spark plug hole gaskets

intake & exhaust gaskets

timing belt

water pump & gasket

oil pump o-ring

i'm also doing the clutch at the same time:

clutch disc

pressure plate

pilot bearing

throwout bearing

trans front seal

any advice on parts that don't have to be replaced or others that i have missed would be greatly appericated... thanks

also...the stealership's list price was actually higher that the list price at some of the online places...i thought list price was universal!

Guest 1 Lucky Texan

I'm big on chaging anything (of a practical nature) that contacts the TB. I didn't see tensioner on the list.

juat my 2 cents

Carl

1 Lucky Texan

Guest nuburu2

Just had mine (HG's)done at a local shop. B4 I left he wanted to show me something of concern on a transmission on the bench. He pointed out the "snout" at the front of the trans, stating that when he separated mine from the motor he noticed the TO bearing and snout were caked with aluminum dust and gunk. He cleaned up the area to find the snout was grooved from the TO bearing travelling up/down it. He replaced the TO bearing and Pilot, sanded the snout, but wanted to let me know so I could be prepared to do something about it when the car needs a lutch.TMALSS I found that this is a common problem and someone, PDM-USA, has a fix. Take a look here for some nice pics and link to PDM;

forums.nasioc.com/forums/...did=394611

Thought you might want to be better prepared than myself!

Glenn O

Guest theotherskip

thanks glenn. good to know. i'll look for that when i get the motor off...glad to know there is a simple fix too. any idea on price?

mr. texas: i am planning on doing the water pump, but since the car only has 72k on it, i am planning on reusing the tensioner until the next belt change, assuming it all looks ok...