Ultimate Subaru Message Board

modded 87 turbo XT - UPDATE 3/18/04 - She Runs !!

glad you asked, kevin...

the long block is back together...it would have been running yesterday, but we didnt have the long sump tube that goes in the oil pan in stock so it had to be oredered. the old one was stuck in the old block and wouldnt come out.

im shooting for monday or tuesday, depending upon how busy the shop is...i havent been able to sneak over there to do anything myself because ive been so busy with my job, so one of the techs has been working on it there.

i have picked up a forester XT intercooler, and it looks like itll be a good fit - rather than the thunderbird IC thats on there now. ill probably get the car home and come up with piping when i get a chance on a weekend.

thats about it for now, ill post an update once i hear it run again...lets hope this motor lasts long than 800mi.

ok guys...seems like tex and i must be on the same wave length, the XT runs again, a day or so after his RX.

the delta cams are in and the a/c compressor along with all of the other a/c components are gone. these cams really breathe new life into the car, im impressed...it feels like a different car.

the dead spot between idle and boost from a dead stop is gone, replaced with alot of throttle response due to the torque these cams provide. im boosting about 5-6lbs until the engine is completely broken in (1k miles), then ill start increasing gradually. the engine was completley rebuilt down to the crank including new main bearings and rings.

the car likes to idle at 1300, i could get that down more but then id have to constantly feather the gas pedal to keep it running.

so after all is said and done, here is what the mods list looks like:

1987 XT Turbo GL10

-IHI VF11 Turbo with modded wastegate rod

-K & N intake

-WRX stock downpipe and midpipe with a 3inch straight pipe (no muffler)

-full XT6 suspension front and back with adjustable KYB's in the rear

- XT6 brakes, rotors and 5 lugs

-Volvo By Pass Valve

-Turbo XS standard boost controller

-Ford T-Bird intercooler

-custom short throw shifter

-3.70 rear LSD and RX FT 4WD trans

-XT6 clutch and lightened flywheel

-677/270 Delta cams

-XT6 wheels with 205/60/14 Sumitomos

-complete XT6 interior including dash, seats and paneling

-Autometer boost, temp and oil pressure guages

hopefully it lasts more than 800mi this time.