Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 T Belt woes.

Once again I got to say thanx to all on this board..I gained valuable info on my subie and gave me the confidence to tackle this Tbelt/Oil pump/h2O pump project. While I had the crankshart pully off I seen a spring pin?(not sure what is is called looks like a smaller version of the pin that holds/locks the axle shafts to tranny). I needed to turn the motor to line up timing so I put the pully on but didnt notice the notch in the pully for the pin, so now I pushed the pin into the timing belt gear..any ideas if this is needed? If it is can I just get another pin and place it one of the other holes on the t-belt gear or do I need to somehow get the old one out?

yer talking about the pin in the pulley? it is exclusive to turbo pulleys from what i have seen. i line it up to the square notch fro the woodruff key. it doesnt have anything to do with timing, except for xt models, which it has a mark on the front.

the woodruff key is either in-line with the 3 marks on the flywheel, or 180 deg from the marks. i cant remember, but its one or the other

if the pin is absent, it should be no deal. as long as the bolt is torqued properly, as non-turbos dont have the pin that you describe

On the contrary there Miles. The EA-82 in the BRAT has that pin, and so does the ER-27. Both of which are non-turbo engines.

As for the pin. You can drive it back out, but that means taking of the drive sprocket. Or you an go get another one from a hardware store. Would guess that an 1/8" or 3/16" would fit. Doubt ifin they would have any Metric sized ones.

3/16 sounds too big. i have seen pulleys on spfi and carbbed that dont have the hole for such a pin, and the pulley tightens on.

the turnbo pulleys i see look lile thay have a balancer, wheras spfi and carb pulleys do not.

if you knew what to line it to for the balancer's sake, then a pin would not really be necessary. my .02