Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

question about 79 wagon

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 shift

shift

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • houston

Posted 15 January 2007 - 12:21 AM

is it possible to take out the front cv axles with out the fluid leaking all over the place? im going to drift my car, but i dont want to mess up my tranny and was wondering if this is possible?

#2 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,699 posts
  • Dallas, Ft. Worth, Texas

Posted 15 January 2007 - 03:20 AM

Yes, you can remove the axles. The transmission stubs have seals independent of the CV axle, it's not like the rear center drive shaft. You don't need to remove fluid.

Todd

#3 shift

shift

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • houston

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:59 PM

Yes, you can remove the axles. The transmission stubs have seals independent of the CV axle, it's not like the rear center drive shaft. You don't need to remove fluid.

Todd

ok heres another question, if i rerplaced the cv axles(which i did) and i didnt get new seals, would that cause the tranny to leak fluid? because thats what is happening now. i was thinking ti was the tranny front seal but iono

#4 DerFahrer

DerFahrer

Formerly subyluvr2212

• Members
  • 2,411 posts
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:16 PM

It must have already been leaking fluid.

Where do you see it coming from?

#5 shift

shift

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • houston

Posted 15 January 2007 - 11:03 PM

the connection of the bell houstong or tranny (w/e its called) where it connects to the engine

#6 DerFahrer

DerFahrer

Formerly subyluvr2212

• Members
  • 2,411 posts
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:59 PM

Could be leaking from the input shaft seal, or could be leaking from the rear main seal of the engine.

#7 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,699 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:11 PM

and neither of those are related to the CV axles.

Todd

#8 shift

shift

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • houston

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:17 PM

and neither of those are related to the CV axles.

Todd

true, but is there a possibility that it COULD leak from the cv axle seals?

#9 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,832 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:26 PM

it is possible but the rear mains on these like to have a hissy fit after many years and many miles on them. I've had a couple gen 1s that have had a weep from the input shaft but the rear main seal is usually the main source of a leak. Replace it because if you don't, it'll eat your clutch up and then you'll have to replace it anyways.

#10 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,699 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:54 AM

Yes, but he was referring to having all the fluid run out by just removing the axle. If the seals were leaking, they would leak with or without the CV/axle.

I 2nd that it is the rear seal.

Todd

#11 keltik

keltik

Clearly an idiot

• Members
  • 578 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:42 AM

im going to drift my car

Does it still have the EA engine in it? Or is it snowing or something? :confused:

#12 shift

shift

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • houston

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:30 PM

Does it still have the EA engine in it? Or is it snowing or something? :confused:

no its just a semi built original engine.

#13 shift

shift

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • houston

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:33 PM

how can i remove my tranny w/o having to remove mt bolts from the exhaust mani.? im scared to try and remove them for the fear that i might break the bolts, and have to get them drilled out n replaced :(

or can i just pull out the engine and l leave the tranny on the car? what would be the more safer and easy way to go?

#14 DerFahrer

DerFahrer

Formerly subyluvr2212

• Members
  • 2,411 posts
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 17 January 2007 - 05:14 PM

The exhaust has to come off, whether you drop the tranny or yank the engine. It's especially necessary to remove the exhaust on these cars because they have no cats (the non-Cali ones anyway) and thus the manifold assemblies reach back farther than the new Subarus.

Use lots of PB Blaster and be very careful. Do it slowly. Worst case scenario, the studs will unscrew out of the head with the nut, and then you can just screw them back in and Loctite them.

#15 shift

shift

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • houston

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:01 PM

The exhaust has to come off, whether you drop the tranny or yank the engine. It's especially necessary to remove the exhaust on these cars because they have no cats (the non-Cali ones anyway) and thus the manifold assemblies reach back farther than the new Subarus.

Use lots of PB Blaster and be very careful. Do it slowly. Worst case scenario, the studs will unscrew out of the head with the nut, and then you can just screw them back in and Loctite them.

hmmm.NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT IT THAT WAY! :grin: :banana: :clap:

#16 cricket

cricket

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 372 posts
  • Houston, Texas

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:59 PM

SHIFT: CLEAR YOU PM INBOX. Thanks, Ennio

hmmm.NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT IT THAT WAY! :grin: :banana: :clap:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users