Ultimate Subaru Message Board

nkn axles

86BRATMAN

also any truth to the turbo brat having 25 spline doj's??

No. ALL EA-81s have 23 spline DOJs.

Also, you don't need NKN axles or anything special like that to put 25 spline DOJs on your EA81 axles. FWD axles and early legacy/EA82 DOJs will combine to make one.

Also, the guy at MWE Axles quoted me $85+shipping+core to have them done. Give him an e-mail.

No. ALL EA-81s have 23 spline DOJs.

Also, you don't need NKN axles or anything special like that to put 25 spline DOJs on your EA81 axles. FWD axles and early legacy/EA82 DOJs will combine to make one.

Also, the guy at MWE Axles quoted me $85+shipping+core to have them done. Give him an e-mail.

tried the legacy swap idea and it wouldn't work, the inner section was just enough smaller that my ea81 axle wouldn't slide into it, thats not bad at all considering i was looking at 68 an axle for ea82's from advance just to swap the doj's from

Curious, what year/type of legacy did you try it from? And you sure you used FWD EA81 axles and not 4WD EA81 axles? There's a thread somewhere on this forum referencing the use of Legacy DOJs, and quite a few people saying: "Yeah, it worked!" The 4WD EA81 axles are about like 2mm larger in diameter. Would explain why they didn't work.

MWE is definitely not a bad deal. If I ever decide to put a turbo tranny in my EA81T wagon, I'd definitely have MWE make me some.

EA81 2WD axle + 25 spline Legacy DOJ = 25 spline EA81 compatible axle.

GD

here's the delima now, advance lists the same part number for 2wd and 4wd, anybody know of a parts store that knows the difference in axles?

88monsterhatch, what throttle cable did you use in your swap?

here's the delima now, advance lists the same part number for 2wd and 4wd, anybody know of a parts store that knows the difference in axles?

88monsterhatch, what throttle cable did you use in your swap?

There is no difference between 2wd and 4wd aftermarket axles, because externally they are exactly the same. The axles are a perfect interchange.

What you need is a set of OEM 2wd EA81 axles.

The critical difference is in the size and spline count of the axle shaft itself when you take off the DOJ. OEM 2wd EA81 axles are known to fit OEM legacy DOJs.

Aftermarket axles are often made from a variety of new and remanufactured parts so it's never a guarantee that they will interchange parts like the OEMs, only that they will work as a replacement for the stock intended vehicle.

As for the throttle cable: I used the pedal and cable from the donor Legacy, but I've heard that this is unnecessary and that the stock cable and pedal will work just fine.

alright, i'll take a look at it,

also anybody ever tried the axle trick with ea71 axles out of a 2wd std 4spd hatch, i've happened accross one i'm buying sometime this coming week for some body parts, it has two perfect from axles in it, and i'm getting the whole car for cheaper than two axles,