Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I aways wanted to drive by all the 'parkway punks' with their 'Bitching Camaros' and lay down 4 dark patches of rubber in front of them ... light 'em up and crab down the road a bit. Screeeeeeeeeee !!

banana:

Anyway, had a particulary stressfull day at work and subsequently hammered the greenlight take off's in the rain with my '92 Legacy wagon, experiencing something new (never noticed it with my '87 XT). The 2.2L 16v 130hp engine has just enough power to spin all 4 tires in the rain, but not just a flat out spin of the tires, but more like a half turn spin, the grip, half turn spin, grip, etc.

Gave an interesing 'jerky' accelleration to the car. Kinda cool actually.

:D

jw

milwaukee

Smoking all fours a once would be so amusing.......

White smoke and serious acceleration!

Can you imagine the G Forces?

Nothing would be more fun!

Too bad my cars will never do this............:mad:

Accept this one.....Smokes all four! :banana:

Glenn,

82 Hatch, well it started out as one......

01 Forester, fast but not that fast.......

02 X2 SRT, .....That Fast..........

Originally posted by slideways

If you drop the clutch at anything over 3500 rpm's in an STI, you are spinning all four tires. :eek:

Thats what I'm screamin. And thats only 300 hp. Imagine the white smoke with 468 hp APS has gotten out of the motor so far.:slobber:

Oh, I beg to differ. Only in the wet will that happen. With an STi in the dry you get mild rear wheel spin and then off like an SOB! It's really is a sick experiance. :burnout:

Keith

You should never attempt to burn out an all wheel drive or four wheel drive vehicle.

In a two wheel drive it is easy to spin tires, and as a result there is only a moderate amount of stress on the transmission gears. In an AWD or 4WD the force required to spin the tires is doubled, but the gears are not twice as strong as a two wheel drive.

WRX's are known to blow gears, and Subaru has adopted a policy of not fixing the transmission under warranty if there are signs of abuse, and they will absolutely not fix it a second time. See all the complaints on the NASIOC forums about broken gears.

The STI has a stronger gear box, but it is only a bit stronger (perhaps 25%). It you want to do burnouts on a regular basis please upgrade to straight cut gears. Then all you have to worry about is breaking the driveshaft, axle shafts and differentials.

Broken gears and drivetrain components are a frequent problem on Subaru's driven on snow and ice covered roads. If you spin the tires on snow or ice and then move to dry pavement, the sudden onset of good traction tends to break things. If you are in mixed high traction/low traction conditions it is always recommended to ease off the power during the transition, in fact not doing so can often lead to loss of vehicle control.

All this said, in 10cm of snow my 2001 Outback with Michelin Arctic Alpin tires has so much traction that it is rarely able to spin tires beyond a second or so in first gear.

Yeah, I've only spun all four on my '03 WRX once, and that was on wet pavement. I'm actually quite proud of the fact that you can't spin them willy-nilly. It's nice taking people off the line, especially in the rain - they just sit there spinning their tires.

I read once that , a long time ago, Citroen (IIRC) had a news conference and invited all the papers and dignitaries they could muster to roll out a new 4WD vehicle. They had been running behind schedule but finally pulled an all-nighter before the morning unveiling. They pushed the vehicle outta the garage - Ooooh-Aaaah, etc. The test driver fired her up, revved it a few times, dumped the clutch - and it dug itself 10" into the ground! The rear axle had been installed upside down!

I got tired of hearing everybody talk snow....so I took out the 03 Legacy and ate some grass....perfect combination of rain to make some awesome "burn-outs"! To bad it is an auto, but it sure is fun! My wife came out this morning and asked "what happened to my car??"....grass and mud all over it...gave her five bucks to wash it, but I thought it looked good!

As far as pavement...only one time in the RX in lo-range...on wet pavement...didn't notice at the time, but the BPD was behind me....I could see him shaking his head in my rearview!....Oops!

Josh!

Two words: Eclipse Turbo with mods they can do just that. Of course that is why they are running through 4 clutches a year. I owned a 91 2WD turbo a number of years back. I joined a "E-mail" club as forums didn't exist yet.

That was one FAST car that got 28MPG.

That is why the Eclipse has now has a V6, warranties and turbos didn't get along.

I tried to spin the tires on my OB when I first got it. I was in a dirt parking lot in VT and it was pouring rain.

When I hit the other side of the parking lot, the speedo, and the car, both inidcated about 30mph. Guess what? You can't brake as fast in a dirt parking lot in pouring rain. End of experiments.....

Which is why you slam your foot down on the clutch when you let up on the gas (and a darn good reason for not having to push in the selector button on auto trannies when shifting to neural from drive).

Edit: Er, neutral. I think I changed it before the grammar gremlins caught me...

what i meant is the tire spinning. you have to hit the brake. the launch i mention is after you let off the gas. i pilled down a 200 ft stretch of raod with my 205/55 16's on the trashwagon. spun to the top of 3rd on snow), let off the gas for the stop sign, damn near ran the stop sign when the car launed as the wheels slowed down and hooked up, hooking up at an rotating speed to the equivalent of the top of 2nd gear.

might as well pull up to a stop sign, and do a clutch drop and see if i can stop before i pass it.