Ultimate Subaru Message Board

At 120 K my 95 Legacy wagon drivers seat is getting tired. The left side foam bolster on the seat bottom split and I can feel springs. Anyone ever pull off the seat cover and do repairs? I'm thinking I might be able to remove the seat cover, tape the foam back together and maybe add a thin foam back over the whole seat bottom. Or is there anywhere where you could buy new foam or have one custom made? Maybe a complete used seat is the way - what years would legacy seats bolt in a 1995 with no modifications? What prices do used seats go for at the junk yard?

Used seats at junkyards are not a good idea. If it has been in an accident there is probably damage to the seat back adjuster, and seat bottom slider. It could break suddenly on its own or in a subsequent accident.

If you do get a seat from a scrapyard, just take the foam, springs, and seat cover if required and mount it to your existing frame.

It is possible to have the seats rebuilt, most auto fabric repair shops can do this.

Model years from 1995 to 1999 will definitely fit. You can even upgrade to the manual height adjustable model if you wish.

The foam in seats does break down over time. Subaru sells replacement foam; last one I bought cost just over $100 (lower cushion only). Once the seat is removed, the upholstery can be removed by cutting the 'hog rings' that secure the fabric to the seat frame. You'll need a pair of 'hog-ring' plires and a supply of new hog-rings to re-attach the fabric. Not a tough job at all, and your seat will feel new again.

I did a quick search on http://www.car-parts.com There were 36 pages of seats. Price range from $40 to $500. Several pages of seats in the $50 to $75 range. I hope the $500 seat comes with a massage therapist!!

As alias20035 mentioned getting a seat from a total disaster wouldn't be the best bet. But if a car was at the yard for issues other than a total wreck then check the seat out.

A little bit of upholstry cleaner and some serious vaccumming and you would be good to go. The seat comes out pretty quick (4 bolts and some easy trim pieces) so you could take a couple of hours and be done.