Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I saw a huge increase in oil consumption when I switched from Pennzoil 5w-30 to Mobil 1 5w-30 in our 99. Mobil 1 is a great oil, but it is thin for it's viscosity grade. If I were you I would run a different synthetic or a thicker grade, for example Mobil 1 10w-30 or Amsoil 5w-30. In Virginia I doubt I would even use a 5w-30 considering the improved cold temp performance of a synthetic. Keep in mind that I say this without the knowledge of Subaru's specific recommendations. Keep in mind most manufacturer's oil viscosity reccomendations are skewed by government fuel economy regulations, and may not reflect what is actually best for your engine.

In Europe much thicker oils are common, where here in the US we seem to be moving closer to water.

I would probably keep drain intervals fairly conservative with that turbo, 5k maybe.

My $0.02.

some points to make:

New engines consume oil, it takes a while for the seals and rings to seat. Could take 10,000 km for a proper break in (3 oil changes).

All engines consume a bit of oil, 1 litre per 5000km is considered perfectly normal. Engines that rev above 3000 RPM on the Highway (all Subaru flat fours) will always consume oil. The harder you run the engine, the more oil it will burn.

Could you have an oil leak?? Check the valve gaskets, transmission/engine mount area, bottom center of timing belt covers, oil pan, oil cooler, and turbocharger assembly.

You can switch to 10w30 to cut your oil loss and improve lubrication, but in winter stick to 5w30. On hot days (80f) 5w30 is practically at its temperature limit. See the recommended viscosity chart in the back of your WRX manual, it will show the oil grades suitable for various temperatures.

Not sure what 10w30 will do for the turbocharger (probably no impact).

5w30 is usually recommended because it is thinner and as such will create less drag in the engine leading to better fuel economy.

My 2001 Outback burned 2 litres of oil in the first 2000km, and has burned very little since then.

I changed the original oil in my Outback at 3,000 km and then again a 6,000 with Mobil 1 5w30 Synthetic. I run Mobil 1 10w30 in summer.

There is no need to break in engines with dino oil, in fact most European cars come filled with synthetic oil. Break ins requiring dino oil is an urban myth.

I just used regular oil for the first oil change because I knew I was going to change the oil early and did not want to waste money on synthetic.

You can NOT use 0W30 in Subaru engines, Subaru tested this a while back for Alaska destined cars and found a high incidence of engine failures. They have issued a service bulletin stating that cars running on 0W30 will not be repaired under warranty.

My Outback currently burns about a half liter every 6,000 km (when I change the oil), my 1993 Legacy with 466,000km used to burn 1-2 litres between changes. I routinely cruised on the highway at 3,700 RPM in the Legacy though.