Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Filter Install?

Does anyone know if it matters it a fuel filter (rear) is mounted upside down? EA81 Hatch.

Pepboys sold me one with the ports reversed. The only way to get it to fit on the existing fuel lines correctly, is to mount it upside down.

I've never cracked one open. Would it still work upside down or would it trap air etc......as it would fill and drain at the bottom, rather than the top as it was designed?:cornfuzz:

Anyone done this?

(the one they sold me for the front was the same as the rear. The front one needs one extra outlet on the bottom:madder: )

Don't they have anything that fits correctly?:moon:

Glenn,

82 Hatch, W/O fuel filters.......

01 Forester, W/fuel filters......

it sounds like they gave you a filter for an 80,81 where there was only 1 filter and it was mounted on the fire wall. They did give you the correct filter for the front right? Go back and ask to see the rear filter for an 84 and see if they bring out the right one.

As for running with the filter you have, up-side-down, you might get an air bubble trapped in there that could stop the fuel from flowing right. But that's just a guess.

They screwed up on both filters!:madder:

The front is missing the port that goes out the bottom:madder:

The rear is ported opposite of what it should be so upside down is the only way the hoses will reach.

Update!

I cracked open the old filter. It could easily trap air when mounted upside down. In fact there would be no way to chase the air out. It seems to me that if it filled and drained at the bottom.....debris and sludge could pile up in the bottom clogging the filter. Working the proper orientation all the junk in the fuel would drop to the bottom bowl and not affect filling or emptying.

Pepboys will see both filters again!:argue:

Glenn,

82 Hatch, well it started life as one.....

01 Forester, still is..........

There is definitely one by the fuel pump, behind the right rear tire. That's the most important one. Don't know if you also have one in the engine bay. Buy two, keep the spare in the car somewhere along with tools to change it when on the road. Saved my rump roast a few times.