Ultimate Subaru Message Board

01 OBW: Series of Questions (AWD, CEL, Suspension.etc)

Hey all-

I bought my first subaru (2001 OBW, 5pd, 4cyl) just over a year ago and have put nearly 35k miles on it since then. It now has ~85k. I've got a bunch of little problems, that I'd like to try and fix before they get much worse.

1. I was in the snow last week and the car was great, except when I got off track a little and buried the rear drivers side wheel in a snowbank :grin:. When I tried to pull out (gently), it just spun that one wheel. I didn't think it would do that, what with AWD. Can someone explain how the AWD system (5spd) is suppsosed to work if one wheel looses traction? I eventually got out using my floor mats as traction devices..

2. CEL: Oxygen sensor (1137 I think?) is bad. Best price? Best brand? Any good way to test them before I replace it?

3. Suspension: After a year of driving my car hard, with some spirited excursions on backroads in the eastern sierras (read: rocky, gravel, snow & ice), the front end seems really loose. Go figure. I'm planing on replacing struts & bushings, with an eye towards better off-road performance (greater ground clearance, better valving, etc..). Reccomendations?

Thanks in advance.

Hi gofargogo!

1. Did you give her some gas to see if the front started turning? Are you sure maybe the passenger side front wheel wasn't spinning too but just didn't notice? Unless you have a locking rear diff it is entirely possible for one rear tire to spin and the other rear tire to just sit there.

2. I'd have to look up that code, but typically for front o2 sensors OEM is highly suggested.

3. The front sway bar hasn't busted has it? Not sure what your options are for stiffer clearance, other than KYB GR-2's maybe. Higher clearance would mean lift kit or maybe lift springs such as king springs from australia.

1. The rear would break loose just a little, then I'd back off. After I while, and I wasn't getting anywhere, I gassed it, and it just spun the rear faster :) I know the others weren't spinning because the floor mat under the driverside rear was the only one with rubber burns.

2. Hmm..Ok I'll buy the factory one.

3. Thanks for the tip on the KYBs. I'll have the sway bar and other stuff checked too.

Hey all-

I bought my first subaru (2001 OBW, 5pd, 4cyl) just over a year ago and have put nearly 35k miles on it since then. It now has ~85k. I've got a bunch of little problems, that I'd like to try and fix before they get much worse.

1. I was in the snow last week and the car was great, except when I got off track a little and buried the rear drivers side wheel in a snowbank :grin:. When I tried to pull out (gently), it just spun that one wheel. I didn't think it would do that, what with AWD. Can someone explain how the AWD system (5spd) is suppsosed to work if one wheel looses traction? I eventually got out using my floor mats as traction devices..

2. CEL: Oxygen sensor (1137 I think?) is bad. Best price? Best brand? Any good way to test them before I replace it?

3. Suspension: After a year of driving my car hard, with some spirited excursions on backroads in the eastern sierras (read: rocky, gravel, snow & ice), the front end seems really loose. Go figure. I'm planing on replacing struts & bushings, with an eye towards better off-road performance (greater ground clearance, better valving, etc..). Reccomendations?

Thanks in advance.

1 - The subaru is biased to the front of the car. The rear wheel drive on the manual comes in when there is a differnce between the front and rear axle speed. The fact that the rear wheel was spinning indicates it was working, and that you were good and stuck (see previous comment on open diffs). In the manual unless you brake something the failure mode is the the AWD system fuses (automatic is a differnt story).

2 - Double check the code. Like said before front o2 sensor usually fixes the problem and should be OE.

3 - Its possible you broke a sway bar, blew a strut, or the busings quit. Also check to make sure that the rack is tight.

nipper