Ultimate Subaru Message Board

25 spline axle on 23 spline tranny damage - repair?

You all speak the truth!

I got a new axle and it went on just fine! Thanks for all the help!

{original post}

Hey all!

I just picked up my first Subaru (84 GL 4spd dual-range, 2 door hatchback) for the explicit purpose of beating the heck out of it off road. But, first it must go...

The previous owner replaced the front axles, but got a 25 spline axle somehow on the passenger side. Then drove it... the results are predictable, the axle sheared off the roll pin and messed up the splines, although how bad I do not yet know (just got it tonight, only can see with a flashlight). To top it off, I drove it home 40 miles in 4wd because, well, there was no other option really.

So, assuming the tranny output shaft is toasty, what do I need to do? Is there hope I can just put on the correct axle and be ready for off road abuse?

Now to add to the general confusion: If I do need to pull the tranny, what can I do to make the front end LSD or spooled? Anything else I should do? Is it even practical/realistic? I'm not driving the car any at all other than too and from wherever we're wheeling (60 miles most), then in the mud, so day to day isn't a concern. What is a concern: cost. Not really interested in the 5sp swap because it sounds difficult and too expensive for no real gain I can see. If there is, convince me otherwise.

Thanks for helping this newbie out!

a buddy of mine has a FWD impreza (23 spline) and the parts shop (grrr....napa....) gave him 25 spline axles. it just sheared off the roll pin, no damage to the stubs at all.

Had the same thing happen to me years ago. Back when Midas offered a lifetime replacement on there halfshafts, they replaced one with the wrong spline and when they backed it out of the bay, the pin snapped. They replaced it with the right spline without any problems.