Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Snow Pics!

had some snow round these parts the last couple of weeks. soob did great in the stuff. only reason i put the chains on was that i had to drive 50 or so miles at 1:00 am. already wrecked one car this winter due to ice. slid into oncomming '04 Dodge Quad Cab Ram at 55 mph in a '96 Nissan Sentra and didn't get a scratch! very sore for a couple of days tho. anyway enjoy!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=4607&stc=1&d=1169418915

attachment.php?attachmentid=4606&stc=1&d=1169418869

attachment.php?attachmentid=4608&stc=1&d=1169418869

post-11409-136027620425_thumb.jpg

post-11409-136027620434_thumb.jpg

post-11409-13602762044_thumb.jpg

only reason i put the chains on was that i had to drive 50 or so miles at 1:00 am. already wrecked one car this winter due to ice.

I'd say winter tires would be a better idea if you're that concerned. I have never used chains during the winter on front- rear- 4- or All- Wheel drive cars. I have always lived in snow and ice country, and have found that winter tires (without studs) work great. Of course, that's just my experience speaking. I'm sure people who aren't used to driving in snow/ice conditions would disagree.

I'd say winter tires would be a better idea if you're that concerned. I have never used chains during the winter on front- rear- 4- or All- Wheel drive cars. I have always lived in snow and ice country, and have found that winter tires (without studs) work great. Of course, that's just my experience speaking. I'm sure people who aren't used to driving in snow/ice conditions would disagree.

i agree unless your going through more than a foot

I got stuck twice a couple winters ago with brand new michelin Xice tires. First time was because a stupid car wouldn't pull to the shoveled side of an alley, so I started to crunch through the refrozen snow until it stopped moving...shovel took care of that. Second time was due to an icy corner on a snowy mountain road that I drive sometimes. Wasn't even driving that fast but put me up against the side of a hill. Chained up both drivers side tires to get me out. I need to get some snow pics someday.

I don't even have chains for my subaru. I get stuck frequently, but I've always been able to dig out (usually it only gets stuck if I get in deep enough snow to high center it). One time I had to use the comealong to pull it off a rock that highcentered it. Bumper high fresh snow is easy. 8" of windblown powder that behaves more like sand... tough. And crusty stuff is usually what gets me. Or ramming into a 2 or 3 foot snowbank when turning around somewhere. I've also learned that all-season's do not work in the snow anywhere near as good as dedicated snow tires. I used to think they were fine, but now that I've tried snows, I'll never run all-seasons in the winter any more.

yeah, i hear you guys. all i'm running now are all seasons which do great in the rain. most of my driving is highway miles. but i do plan on putting a lift in and bigger wheels for a more agro tread. the road i travel is notoriously treacherous, known as "Blood Alley."

Jonas,

Thanks for posting those pics of the 84 wagon. I miss that car so much! It still looks good and I was surprised to see that you've kept the Yakima Loadwarrior. I thought you were trying to figure out how to remove it. When I owned the car, I ran winter tires year round. I just liked having the more aggressive tread even though they wore down pretty quick. Three to four years ago, when we had the ice storm in Portland, I was cruising all over the city picking up people for work. That wagon didn't miss a beat. I'm actually getting ready to purchase a 86 Brat, so I'm excited to once again be a subaru owner.

Trailduster

(formerly Oregonboy1)

Jonas,

Thanks for posting those pics of the 84 wagon. I miss that car so much! It still looks good and I was surprised to see that you've kept the Yakima Loadwarrior. I thought you were trying to figure out how to remove it. When I owned the car, I ran winter tires year round. I just liked having the more aggressive tread even though they wore down pretty quick. Three to four years ago, when we had the ice storm in Portland, I was cruising all over the city picking up people for work. That wagon didn't miss a beat. I'm actually getting ready to purchase a 86 Brat, so I'm excited to once again be a subaru owner.

Trailduster

(formerly Oregonboy1)

i love the rack, but would like to pop it off to put a good coat of wax on. and i would like to HAVE the ability to remove it if i wished. but i'll prolly be mounting some lights on it anyway.

p.s. boosted84 is thinking of selling his matching '84 turbo wagon if your interested.....