Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Nitrous on EA81?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 subie_newbie

subie_newbie

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Portland

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:24 AM

Anyone have any experience with this? I'm worried about being able to unload 30" boggers with the motor in mostly stock form, and this would seem an easy solution for a low compression motor.

Thanks!

#2 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:40 AM

You'd need to run a wet system, and even then i don't think it would make a difference in turning boggers, at lest reliably, and if you're using it to get moving from every light, it'll last maybe half a mile.

Don't think it would be a good idea.

When you say low compression, are you running a turbo motor without a turbo?

#3 thatswhatshesaid

thatswhatshesaid

All things to manly excess

• Gold Subscribers
  • 737 posts
  • Spokane, WA

Posted 22 January 2007 - 02:23 PM

I say "bad idea".

You lose too much reliability just to smoke the boggers a couple times.

#4 crazy D

crazy D

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • Reno

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:08 PM

ummm.....NO!!!!!!! dont do it!

#5 mellow65

mellow65

Subaru, my drug of choice

• Members
  • 1,084 posts
  • Portland

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:07 PM

if you want something fast buy something other then a subaru. keep away from the laughing gas, things go boom with stuff because you always want more. and then it's to late

#6 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:11 PM

On the other hand, Rguyver had SPFI, Turbo, and NOS on his lifted hatch (NA EA81 hatch). Didn't blow it up - ended up selling it to some guy (but kept the NOS setup), and I beleive he now has it back again. The SPFI didn't like positive manifold pressure, but he had a second injector rigged up to it to compensate.... apparently it was pretty quick. But then he also knows what he's doing..... he currently has an EJ20G in his lowered 5 lug Brat.

Don't attempt stuff like this unless you know what you are doing, and are willing and able to fail (possibly messily).

GD

#7 kotty

kotty

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • US

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:19 PM

Okay, I tried my best to make sense of your post, but the best I can gather is that you thought the boggers would not be the cause if the engine were healthy... If the engine weren't healthy, then it was already done for and was about to blow up whether a NOS Big Shot Nitrous System were installed or not.

#8 rguyver

rguyver

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 218 posts
  • Kelowna B.C. Canada

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:36 PM

I say Do IT !!!! :banana::banana:

NOS isnt that bad if you follow some rules #1 dont over do !a 50hp shot kit for a V8 is like a 200 hp shot on a 80hp 1800cc engine , #2 use proper plugs and a good coil so you dont blow out the spark , #3 dont make sure you have good fuel pump and supply , if you run lean you will melt a piston .

i also have to mention i melted a piston on my first attempt :eek: but a 50hp shot only makes the car feel like a turbo car , its not like the Fast and the silly ware the world blurs and you are sucked in to the seat like a jet plane , you will find its only good for the drag strip .

#9 Myxalplyx

Myxalplyx

Old Wise and Dumb

• Members
  • 1,834 posts
  • New Castle

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:00 PM

Anyone have any experience with this? I'm worried about being able to unload 30" boggers with the motor in mostly stock form, and this would seem an easy solution for a low compression motor.

Thanks!

1) Make sure the car is in tip-top shape before running nitrous,

2) Once in tip-top shape, if you plan on running a dry nitrous setup, send your injectors out to be cleaned and be sure your fuel pump is working properly,

3) If a wet kit, be sure your fuel pump is working properly,

4) Dry - I would not recommend anything over 60hp shot. Wet, I would not recommend anything over 80hp. Start off slowly in any case with a 40-50hp shot.

Remember, you'll even with a low jetting, you'll be spraying somewhere around half the hp/tq your car is already making. Just imagine a 230hp WRX spraying 115hp shot into its engine. Take baby steps and be safe.

I had planned on running nitrous on my RX turbo just before it kicked the bucket. The plan was to have the first RX turbo in the 13s in the 1/4. It rusted to it never came to be. Inspect your car thoroughly to be sure all parts are running as it should. Then go for it.

#10 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 01 March 2008 - 07:06 PM

THIS THREAD IS A YEAR OLD :confused:

GD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users