Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT6 clutch PP into EA81?

Ok - I'm thinking about trying to put in an XT6 clutch PP into an EA81 with a 4 speed D/R. Now there's only two things I can see that might stop me from doing this:

1. The XT6 pressure plate is too thick, and doesn't fit - ie: no play left in the fork, or even worse - engine can't bolt to tranny.

2. Can't rig-up or fab in the release bearing, and it's little holder gizmo.

So I came up with this list of parts:

EA82 flywheel (needed for the PP to mount up)

EA81 clutch disc - 4WD (same diameter as an EA82, but has proper spline count for the 4 speed D/R

EA82 PP (XT6, Turbo, etc...)

EA82 release bearing

Possibly have to use an EA82 fork too.

Ok - so the only tough part I can think of is the fabbing in of the release bearing and the EA82 fork if needed. I'm thinking I may need to have a machine shop do something with it.

Anyone done this? I'm asking to see if anyone has tried this, and what they may have ran into, and if anyone knows if the thickness of the EA82 PP is such that it just wouldn't go together...

I want a stiffer PP, but centerforce wants nearly $500 for a clutch kit for the EA81. On top of that, I'm not sure I'll keep the 4 speed forever. Some day I may go to a 5 speed. The money output to get a centerforce is not worth it for what I want to do. And at least I'm fairly certain that dirt and debri won't clog up an XT6 pressure plate - which I don't know about the centerforce stuff. too money for just an experiment. And if the XT6 PP can be put in, it should give improved performance.

GD

Whots wrong with the 4spd TO bearing? Before I got my 5spd I had a D/r 4spd bolted up to the ER27, and the TO worked ohkay with it. The fork would move back a lot further from the pressure plate than needed, prolly about an inch between the bottom of it's throw to where it contacted the PP fingers. The ER27 flywheel is a light weight replacement for the EA82's, so that may be a better route, if thats whot kinda thing you want, you may need to modify the bellhousing though, not really sure on that. I would reccomend getting a new clutch cable along with the install, as the first time I stepped on my clutch with the bigger one in there, it snapped. Lotsa luck, let us know how it turns out.

Well - I was concerned about the size of the bearing being too small, and causeing premature failure of the bearing, or improper wear of the PP fingers.... I shall have a closer look at the EA81 bearing in relation to the fingers on the EA82 PP. And interesting idea tho. Was that one inch of play noticeable after adjustment? Weird to drive with?

Actually - I want a heavy flywheel, cause this is going in the lifted wagon. Need the torque at low RPM's.

GD

Rick, I would let it be. It will work fine as it is now.The combination of PP, disc and throwout bearing isn't that tough really. The XT6 flywheel is lighter by about 4lbs than an EA82. The critical measurement is the depth of the flywheel. It can be cut into any of the flywheels. I used the XT6 flywheel and presuure plate. The XT6 throw out bearing is the same as the EA82. The disc is for the 5sp. I used a new clutch cable.

I would try the new(used) one we just put in for a while and test things out with it. It will work fine as that is the same set up most of the guys run.

Ken

I'm sure your right that it will work fine. But you know me - always trying something. Wouldn't be any fun if I just left it alone. Always searching for a way to improve my setup.

Still getting a squeal from somewhere - I think one of the clutch bearings. I want to pull the engine anyway so I can clean in there, and remove more stuff. Got a bunch of new gaskets for the engine too - oil pan, valve covers, exhaust, etc.

GD