Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA-81 speakers...

any other car I'd do it (cut up the doors etc) but this one needs to be 100% stock looking.

The infinity reference's fit in the stock locations no problem (that's what I was refereing to). Can't see em at all with the grills in place.

Anything you "adapt" for the dash will be unseen as well. Although you can see a little of the one in the passenger side through the dash's fake vent speaker grill.

GD

I've used 3.5 and 4x6s in the fronts of my cars and would suggest the 4x6s. The smaller speakers tend not to sound as good. Fitment is tight on the driver's side, but if you fiddle with it, the speaker will fit. I drilled out the chassis of the new speaker to the stock passenger's side speaker mounting pattern and it works like a charm. I also used this opportunity to run REAL speaker wire to the speakers and converted to multi-ground speaker wiring.

Hey Matt. The drivers side speaker is really really small so you want to custom mount something. The passenger side speaker is really close to a 4x6, so close in fact that they will bolt up with no modes. Heres how i did my car. Not sure if you saw this or not. The only hint of there being a none stock speaker there is that the fuse box is slightly tilted. These are infinity kappa 4x6 plate speakers but reference will do the same job for less. To mount it i cut the original drivers side speaker mount so i could remount the grill over the speaker when i was done. I think it came out looking pretty good.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/724118/3

anybody had good luck with speakers in the kick panels? Better sound triangulation down there... and I'm partial to the little crap cubby that can fit in place of the left dash speaker... I keep forgetting to yank the kick panels from a junkyard car to check for clearance...

Rear door speakers are 5.25, right?

I think their close to that, if not smaller. On my wagon I used 5.25" speakers in custom mounts because there is little clearence for large magnets on the rear doors. Custom mounts would be needed for front door speakers if they were mounted on the leading edge (where there is no clearence) or right next to the front seat (where there is clearence).