Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mystery vacuum line???

It should go to a solenoid that is then plumbed into the intake somewhere. Look for a solenoid with only one line running to it from the intake, and an open port on it. This is prolly why you are dropping R's when you turn on the defroster (or A/c, i.e. your other post). The solenoid valves are usually green for this purpose, and have a two wire connector going to them, and two vacume lines (or suppose to have two vacume lines). There is a possiblity that someone may have removed the solenoid, so if you can't find one, look for a two wire connector that isn't connected to anything on or near the motor. Lotsa luck.

edit: Ohkay, I've been looking through some of my books, and I think I have the solenoid narrowed down, I think, I'm used to workin on EA81's, the EA82 may be different. But check your passenger side strut tower, between it and the firewall there should be the solenoids, two of them, along with some vacume hoses going to them, one of them will control the idle up for the A/c system. If no one has it by tomarrow I'll dig through my EA82 and see if I can find the exact one that does it (I have an 85 4wd with with A/c so it should be near the same place as yours, when I find it.)