Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear glass weatherstrip Gen 1 coupes/sedans BRAINSTORM SESSION

Ok, this ties into the rust issue on these gen1 cars. They rust from the inside out from leaky seals!

We can get the front weatherstrip, but the rear is elusive. It is just as critical at the front. Alternative seals can be used on the gen 1 station wagon hatch by using the super beetle rear glass rubber. It's a good fit.

I was thinking that the Datsun/Nissan Z cars, 240Z, 280Z have about the same shape and size rear glass. I wonder if that might be an option! I know their rubber is still manufactured aftermarket.

So....this post is a brainstorm for ideas. Please post your thoughts!!

Todd

Does anybody know a company that would make some if they had the proper dimensions for one? Or if someone somewhere has the remnants of one to have some one use as a template to build off of? Somebody has to be able to do it. If you ever watch any of those show with cars being overhauled, etc, they sometimes make modifications to the windows and bring in glass people that pretty much can make a window gasket for anything. My two cents. I am going to have to look around. I believe somebody can do it. It will just be a question of who and what it is worth to us Gen 1 owners.

I have an NOS one, but it's breaking apart.(That's the problem with 25 years old rubber). It's on an extra piece of glass (GF)

I can get measurements, or could send it to a company.

Paul, or somebody....we need part #s for the gen 1 stage 1/stage2 back glass rubber on coupes and sedans. I'm sure gen 1 and gen 2 have different #s, but I bet the rubber is nearly the same. I think all gen 2s are the same part #.

665002700 is the part # for the 77-79 GF hardtop

Todd

We need a cross section of the rubber to give us an idea of wether or not a current catalog item will work,or if we need to special order.

PRP's catalog has nice cross section views of their stock.

Datsuns,maybe!! The Subes and 'suns share a few items! Cross your fingers everybody.

Whoa!!! I might have the cross sections right here in my FPM!!

Later on I'll start a dedicated Sealing and Weatherstripping Parts Thread.

For now,the info you asked for......Stage II '77-79 rear sedan windshield gasket p/n = 6650 02660 and according to the FPM does NOT interchange with Stage I cars from '72-77.That p/n is 6650 02240

GF Hardtop = 6650 02410 for Stage I and 6650 02700 for Stage II

FE and DL Coupe = 6650 02280 for Stage I and 6650 02680 for Stage II

Get it! I'm sure it's got to be better than what's on the car. Negoiate a lower price for the age of it. Partsvoice is showing no inventory from any of those #s.

Additionally, I bet the difference in the coupe and GF is slight and the difference between gen 1 and gen 1 is also slight.

I am going to try and order it. I just checked on subaruparts.com and #665002280 shows as still available. #665002240 is no longer available. If it has problems it can still be possibly used as a template to build new ones by another manufacturing company I have go to try.

Get it! I'm sure it's got to be better than what's on the car. Negoiate a lower price for the age of it. Partsvoice is showing no inventory from any of those #s.

Additionally, I bet the difference in the coupe and GF is slight and the difference between gen 1 and gen 1 is also slight.

Part #665002280 Shows on the subarugenuineparts site available at $105.30. I can't imagine what condition it would be in after all this time. I know, CRACKED:lol: .

Let us know how it is,and if they have any others left....please.

That'll fit my '73 Coupe.Hopefully it was produced more recently than the late 70's.

No go:mad: . They cancelled my order because they said the part is no longer available. Big surprise. Has anybody checked out this company called Soffseal? Looks like they can make anything for us. They are located in Ohio. Anybody there with a old subie who could swing by and get them to build us some new gaskets and weatherstrips?

I have a GF gasket that could be used as a model. T

Hell, we can replace hearts, put men in space, put a Tonka truck on Mars, I would think someone can make a gasket for a dman Subaru!!

LOL

Yes, Soffseal is cool. My friend used alot of their stuff on his Olds.

Todd