Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Curses, another valve bites the dust!

And I wasn't even beating on it this time! Same cyl as last time, new head. Same symptoms, has spark, smells like gas when turned over with the plug out. Pisht noise in exhaust, hardly any compression.

Can oil burning cause valves to burn?

the only other thing I can think of is if my injector is bad and running that cyl lean all the time. Might explain the rash of problems #3 has that none of the others do.

I've unpluged the injector to try and save the cat (or what's left of it) and gas, and I'm going to run it like this untill I put the 2.5 in. What's sad is that the EJ22 0n 3 cyls is pretty comparable to the EA82 ever was on 4.

And I wasn't even beating on it this time! Same cyl as last time, new head. Same symptoms, has spark, smells like gas when turned over with the plug out. Pisht noise in exhaust, hardly any compression.

Can oil burning cause valves to burn?

the only other thing I can think of is if my injector is bad and running that cyl lean all the time. Might explain the rash of problems #3 has that none of the others do.

This is a hydraulic lash-adjuster earlier EJ22, right? Because, if it wasn't, tight valve clearance can cause burned valves. A local vacuum leak could do that too...like, say, the O-ring around the injector... sorry that you're having such bad luck...

Nathan

According to the link (thanks BTW) the main causes for burned valves other than mechanical issues are coolant problems, lean mix or clogged exhaust. The head was a good hydro head, so no mech problems. The cooling system is clean and functional, so unlikely to be the problem. Clogged exhaust... well, it doesn't really pull over 6k rpms and i think it's probably because of the exhaust. It doesn't spend that much time up there though... and wouldn't that affect all the cyls, not just #3?

That leaves it down to lean mix. It's not a vacuum leak, so it must be a bum injector. Sucks to have 2 heads and a freshly rebuilt block toasted by a friggin injector.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not just my car. The engine we swapped out of Konrad/soo's car this summer was running on 3cyls. Took the left head off, and it had a burned exhaust valve exactly like mine did. #1 cyl, big carbon deposits, burning lots of oil, lower section of valve face burned off. Other cyl's look fine.

So that's 3 exhaust valve smoked through on EJ22's.

Anyone else heard of this happening on an EJ22?