Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MIL after O2 Sensor Change

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 19 November 2003 - 06:44 AM

Last night I changed the front O2 sensor on the 99 outback. I had a little trouble getting it loose so I ran the car to warm up the pipe without bothering to reconnect the wires. I expected a MIL and got one. I left the battery disconnected overnight but still had a MIL this morning. Do I need to clear the code with a OBDII scanner, or do I have a problem with the new sensor?

#2 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 19 November 2003 - 08:38 AM

When I ran the car this morning the light was still on. I then shut the car off after running it for about 15 minutes and left for work. I just called my wife at work and she said the light never came on during her 45 minute drive. I am confused. Do they always act this way? Is something actually wrong?

#3 Scoobaroo

Scoobaroo

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 19 November 2003 - 09:34 AM

With OBD II, simply disconnecting the battery isn't enough. The computer stores the code in memory even if the power is interrupted. The computer actually has to see that the problem is no longer there during several running cycles before it turns the light off.
Of course, you could always clear the code instantly with a scan tool.

#4 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,581 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 19 November 2003 - 09:37 AM

OBD2 sometimes will act that way. The codes won't clear with a simple battery disconnect. They need to be cleared with a scan tool.

In your case the computer probably needed some time to see that the signal is good again, and it turned the light out itself. turning the car on/off again did that. From some reason O2 sensor codes are weird......I can run my car without an O2 sensor for a while, get no code, then all of a sudden it pops one up.

#5 99obw

99obw

this space for rent

• Members
  • 1,595 posts
  • Ithaca area

Posted 19 November 2003 - 12:27 PM

False alarm, and I learned something.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users