Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Loyale fuel starvation

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ever Victorious

Ever Victorious

Hazard to himself

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • Everett

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:01 PM

Hi guys...
I'm actually posting this for my neighbor.

I was trying to figure out what might be the problem to see if this thing is salvageable.

My neighbors have a Loyale of some sort (not sure of year or type, other than it is a 5-speed... dunno if it's 4WD or what type if it is) that they ran into the back of another car late last year.

Well, for whatever reason, they still have their car... and it's having difficulty running.

Fuel is not getting to the engine. He can manually feed it fuel (which indicates to me it's probably carbed, but I don't know for sure) and it will start and run, but it will not run on its own, no fuel gets to the engine.

Is there a cutoff of some sort that terminates fuel supply to the engine in the event of a front end collision? Or what might this possibly be?

#2 [HTi]Dain

[HTi]Dain

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Eugene

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:07 PM

replace Feul filter(s) and do a tune-up if neccesary (plugs, wires, cap/rotor) start simple. Although, i'm not sure about a cut off switch in case of a wreck. My guess there isn't one.

#3 DaveT

DaveT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 714 posts
  • Colchester

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:31 PM

[quote name=''[HTi]Dain']Although' date=' i'm not sure about a cut off switch in case of a wreck. [/quote']

The fuel pump doesn't run if the engine isn't running - carbed or SPFI.

There is a "bypass" that enables during cranking.

#4 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:21 AM

The fuel pump doesn't run if the engine isn't running - carbed or SPFI.

There is a "bypass" that enables during cranking.

The bypass is nothing more than a signal being sent to the ECU from the ignition switch that the key is in "start" position. The ECU is what turns the fuel pump relay on and off.

I have no idea what wire runs from keyswitch to ECU, then from ECU to fuel pump.. but I wanted to clarify that this "bypass" is not an entity unto itself, just a function of the ECU.

In case anyone else has noticed, I have had the day off and am bored. I seem to be posting about once every twenty minutes here. :grin: now THATS what I call a friday night!!! What can I say, I and all my friends work for restaurants. What am I gonna do by myself but fiddle around on the internet?

#5 DaveT

DaveT

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 714 posts
  • Colchester

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:02 AM

The bypass is nothing more than a signal being sent to the ECU from the ignition switch that the key is in "start" position.

yeah, I was being vague.

#6 [HTi]Dain

[HTi]Dain

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Eugene

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:00 AM

What the ************ ever! Restureant, eh? you know that much bout cars, i'd think you could get a better job than that. anyway.

#7 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:02 AM

you know, its funny. I thought about making a comment that I was simply posting out of boredom on a night off.... and i get caught by a friggin flame. I intended no tone of condescension.

go pass your judgment somewhere else, we dont want it here.

#8 Reveeen

Reveeen

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Eastern Canada

Posted 27 January 2007 - 07:44 AM

The wire for the fuel pump can be picked up under the rear seat, in an emergency (I say in an emergency, as this isn't real safe) you can steal enough current from the running lights to run the fuel pump and get you home. Just turn the lights on, after some "creative butchery", and away you go..................

#9 hooziewhatsit

hooziewhatsit

I fix old cars

• Members
  • 1,333 posts
  • Klamath Falls

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:39 PM

to see if the fuel pump even works;

connect the green connectors under the hood
turn the key to 'on' (don't start it)
listen for clicking every second or so under the hood, the fuel pump should also pulse in the same rythym. If it isn't, try tapping (hitting) it.

The fuel pump is right infront of the passenger rear tire. If you have trouble finding it, do this same procedure on your car that we know works.

-Dave

#10 [HTi]Dain

[HTi]Dain

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • Eugene

Posted 27 January 2007 - 05:27 PM

you know, its funny. I thought about making a comment that I was simply posting out of boredom on a night off.... and i get caught by a friggin flame. I intended no tone of condescension.

go pass your judgment somewhere else, we dont want it here.

By no means was I judging you. I was just making an off comment/observation; no harm was intended, I'm sorry.

#11 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 28 January 2007 - 02:23 AM

[quote name=''[HTi]Dain']By no means was I judging you. I was just making an off comment/observation; no harm was intended' date=' I'm sorry.[/QUOTE']

In that case, I too, beg your pardon.

Peace is good :grin:

sorry I didnt proofread my original comment; i should have worded that a little better... but its all good now. :clap: :banana:

#12 Ever Victorious

Ever Victorious

Hazard to himself

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • Everett

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:35 PM

to see if the fuel pump even works;

connect the green connectors under the hood
turn the key to 'on' (don't start it)
listen for clicking every second or so under the hood, the fuel pump should also pulse in the same rythym. If it isn't, try tapping (hitting) it.

The fuel pump is right infront of the passenger rear tire. If you have trouble finding it, do this same procedure on your car that we know works.

-Dave

Alright, thanks... I should be getting a chance to actually go look at it up close in the next day or so, so I'll try this when I get to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users