Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale fuel starvation

Hi guys...

I'm actually posting this for my neighbor.

I was trying to figure out what might be the problem to see if this thing is salvageable.

My neighbors have a Loyale of some sort (not sure of year or type, other than it is a 5-speed... dunno if it's 4WD or what type if it is) that they ran into the back of another car late last year.

Well, for whatever reason, they still have their car... and it's having difficulty running.

Fuel is not getting to the engine. He can manually feed it fuel (which indicates to me it's probably carbed, but I don't know for sure) and it will start and run, but it will not run on its own, no fuel gets to the engine.

Is there a cutoff of some sort that terminates fuel supply to the engine in the event of a front end collision? Or what might this possibly be?

The fuel pump doesn't run if the engine isn't running - carbed or SPFI.

There is a "bypass" that enables during cranking.

The bypass is nothing more than a signal being sent to the ECU from the ignition switch that the key is in "start" position. The ECU is what turns the fuel pump relay on and off.

I have no idea what wire runs from keyswitch to ECU, then from ECU to fuel pump.. but I wanted to clarify that this "bypass" is not an entity unto itself, just a function of the ECU.

In case anyone else has noticed, I have had the day off and am bored. I seem to be posting about once every twenty minutes here. :grin: now THATS what I call a friday night!!! What can I say, I and all my friends work for restaurants. What am I gonna do by myself but fiddle around on the internet?

you know, its funny. I thought about making a comment that I was simply posting out of boredom on a night off.... and i get caught by a friggin flame. I intended no tone of condescension.

go pass your judgment somewhere else, we dont want it here.

The wire for the fuel pump can be picked up under the rear seat, in an emergency (I say in an emergency, as this isn't real safe) you can steal enough current from the running lights to run the fuel pump and get you home. Just turn the lights on, after some "creative butchery", and away you go..................

to see if the fuel pump even works;

connect the green connectors under the hood

turn the key to 'on' (don't start it)

listen for clicking every second or so under the hood, the fuel pump should also pulse in the same rythym. If it isn't, try tapping (hitting) it.

The fuel pump is right infront of the passenger rear tire. If you have trouble finding it, do this same procedure on your car that we know works.

-Dave

you know, its funny. I thought about making a comment that I was simply posting out of boredom on a night off.... and i get caught by a friggin flame. I intended no tone of condescension.

go pass your judgment somewhere else, we dont want it here.

By no means was I judging you. I was just making an off comment/observation; no harm was intended, I'm sorry.

Dain']By no means was I judging you. I was just making an off comment/observation; no harm was intended' date=' I'm sorry.[/quote']

In that case, I too, beg your pardon.

Peace is good :grin:

sorry I didnt proofread my original comment; i should have worded that a little better... but its all good now. :clap::banana:

to see if the fuel pump even works;

connect the green connectors under the hood

turn the key to 'on' (don't start it)

listen for clicking every second or so under the hood, the fuel pump should also pulse in the same rythym. If it isn't, try tapping (hitting) it.

The fuel pump is right infront of the passenger rear tire. If you have trouble finding it, do this same procedure on your car that we know works.

-Dave

Alright, thanks... I should be getting a chance to actually go look at it up close in the next day or so, so I'll try this when I get to.