Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I got my Brat!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

And it's a 78, not a 79 like I thought! It's been sitting for 5 years so it runs a little rough but that will all be fixed soon. Everything works except the FACTORY a/c. Everything is there I think except the jump seats.

Pictures tell a thousand words, so:

Brat1-1.jpg?t=1169948552

Used to be red I guess

Brat3-1.jpg?t=1169948635

Brat4-1.jpg?t=1169948658

There used to be some kind of rack that attached to the rollbar. I've never see that before.

Brat5.jpg?t=1169948679Brat6.jpg?t=1169948692

Brat8.jpg?t=1169948761

This hose was so old I could tear it and was disintigrating on the inside

Brat9.jpg?t=1169948812

I found why it hesitates when given throttle. It has GM floormats. (eww!)

Brat10.jpg?t=1169948856

Dig the near mint passenger seat

Brat11.jpg?t=1169948932

And the first sticker this plate got on it

Brat12.jpg?t=1169948943

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: AAAAAUGH! Went to my mom's for dinner and when I left the headlights didn't work (night) so I took their Toyota truck home. Easy fix I know, most likely a switch, but WHY ON THE DAY I GOT IT AND WHY AT NIGHT?!?!?! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Door panel says 6/78 but title says 78, not 79MY

Why didn't you keep that Brat? I plan to convert to propane or CNG (depends on price and availibility of kits) add a CD or mp3 player, clean up the few (and small) rust holes on the body and bondo, paint them. Maybe rattle can it and get some matching wheels with studless snow tires, that's it. I'll 4wheel, but nothing extreme, don't want to break it. 143K miles BTW

well, i kinda needed the money then, and now i miss my old gen 1s and 360s. i had 4 gen 1s total. here are my 2 favorite, even tho i`m sure you've probly already run across them,

row013.jpg

brat5500111.jpg

3rd eye ftw

78br005.jpg

do you have experience with alternate fuel swaps? i`ve always had an interest in doing one up as well.....

Dude, those Brats have some serious sexiness going on. I like 360s too but I'm too afraid to touch them.

Other than biodiesel I have not run any car on alt fuels, however my friend Robert who previously owned my 83 wagon, then later bought it back from me bought a special carburetor on eBay that he uses with a vaporiser (and tank of course) that lets him burn 100% propane. He said it doesn't like to rev up as much, but gained some low rpm torque. I'm quite sure that with careful carb tuning you could make it run exactly like gas.

Was the blue Brat a DL? The guy I bought mine from had one single headlight Brat and I figured it was an early DL model and GLs had the duals.

Went to my mom's for dinner and when I left the headlights didn't work

Went to Carlisle for our big show on a Friday night once in the '78.Same thing,lights went out.I checked the fuse,looked great,no fix though.Drove carefully for about 100 miles or so,next day had Skip look it over.He used my FSM and hunted through everything only to find the fuse I saw as good had a broken endcap.......didn't see that because I didn't take it out and tug on the ends.Filiment(sp?) looked good.

Skip to the rescue! Might or might not help you too.

Fuse looked good but it's worth the $1.12 to replace all 7(?) I think some part of the switch came loose, in which case I will induldge my penchant for rigging things up to glowing toggle switches.:brow:

I have a glowing switching, problem is I can't make em glow:headbang:

Nice gen one, wanna trade me? lol

I wish I could find a Brat, but in this part of the country, I'm lucky I got what I got.

ED, here's the thread:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70631

It has all I know about his Brats. Basically none of them are in driving shape, save for the one he is restoring, but I'd say 3 or 4 of them could be dusted off, have engines installed in them and given thourough tuneups and be driven. Any of them could be rolled onto a trailer, only one is smashed bad.

And his number is 541 890 6164 - I told him I'd send people his way. He works swing shift so calling around 10AM-noon is best