Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the devil is under my hood....

and not in a good way:burnout:

i think my wagon is rejecting the spare engine i put in(daily driver/project car combo is rough)while i'm rebuilding mine. started with blowing expansion plugs out of the heads(well, mainly just the same one over and over till i found new ones), now i'm popping 30amp ignition fuses like the chupacabra sucks goats:-\ .

thought it was because of the wire from the pos battery terminal to the fuse block being connected by 2 strands, but that only lasted last night and till i picked up my girlfriend and went to go home. this is getting really aggrivating, damned 32 year old wiring...

i've unplugged my stereo and amp, and that didnt help so now alice is stuck in a different town overnight. i hate having to leave my car somewhere, but so tired of only driving 20/30 feet(if that) at a time. i'm tempted to solder in a "wire fuse" just to get her home and figure out what the hell is going on.

end rant.

anybody have any ideas?

thanks in advance

-mike

whats on the front of that car on your avatar?

thats a jackman front bumper with winch mount. it's rad:grin:

1855031300121.jpg

replaced battery, coil, fuses, unplugged everything but alternator and starter.....:dead:

maybe a different starter, something to do with the solenoid possibly??

wasted $20 on a trip permit for my mercury as it doesn't want to run very well:mad:

i think my tax check is going to a painless wiring harness:cool:.....

-mike

I'm calling Buick, because the Malibu didn't have quad headlights after '70

.'68-'69 Skylark maybe? or a '70 Malibu

Oh your right. I looked at it too quick. I thought i saw the one big circular light that replaced the quad lights from the 70 model. Yeah i change my vote to 68-69 skylark.

yep. 69 skylark custom, it's really loud :burnout:

thought i had a better picture of it but it's the 69 gto.

who can guess what the light blue car between the wagons is

back on topic:

we were gonna tow alice home last night but the van had a dead battery, so in the process of waiting for them i decided to look for the cause some more(expecting to just blow the damn fuse and not get any closer). fired up the car, waited about a minute, didn't pop. checked to see if the fuse was hot, a little warm. hmmmm, restarted the car and drove a couple of circles around the parking lot and smoke started coming up by me knee. turn car off, grasp wiring harness, hmmm, thats real warm. so i went through each wire in the harness till i found a blue wire that was all melty, followed it to the back of the car. four prong plug wires go through a grommet from the drivers side under the car and back into the pass side. unplugged, and voila!:banana:

so, my car kinda has esp and knew the the alternator on the van took a crap, and showed my the way to fix it so i could go home

-mike