Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Strange low rpm hesitation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SakoTGrimes

SakoTGrimes

Aint got no Subaru!

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • Grants Pass

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:41 PM

(EA71) When I give it a little gas, it revs up sputter-ly, when I give it half or full throttle, it dips down for a split second, then jumps up rough and slowly. Similar to when you get some water in your carb. It makes starting off in 1st really hard, especially on a hill. The problem isn't as bad when fully warmed up, but still there. At high RPM (like 2800+ I guess, no tach) it performs beautifully. I put in new NGK V-powers and they helped but only a little. Air filter is brand new.

Might the heads being really dirty have something to do with it? The PVC vents are caked with oil crud, but cleaning them out would have knocked it into the heads.

#2 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,854 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:00 AM

sounds like an accellerator pump issue to me. Pretty easy to get to. Remove the air cleaner, then remove the top portion of the carb (should be like 6 small screws) and once removed, it'll be a "pump" that pumps fuel into the barrel of the carb. When they are on their way out, it'll sputter when giving it gas. You'll have to get a carbr ebuild kit IIRC which is like $25 from Schucks last time I bought one.

#3 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,715 posts
  • Dallas, Ft. Worth, Texas

Posted 29 January 2007 - 04:36 AM

Yep, accelerator pump, or clogged accelerator pump jet.

Todd

#4 MachineAgeVictim

MachineAgeVictim

Civilized 4 Wheel Drive.

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 30 January 2007 - 10:38 PM

let us know if that helps, sounds like the same problem mine has that didn't go awya after a pump replacement, I dialed it out a little after I put a new rotor on it

#5 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,715 posts
  • Dallas, Ft. Worth, Texas

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:08 AM

Often the little jet that the accelerator pump pushes fuel through clogs. Use a small piece of wire to clean the opening out.

Todd

#6 Skip

Skip

Flatuous Blather

• 8,991 posts
  • Latrobe, Pennsylvania

Posted 31 January 2007 - 02:08 PM

also check the check ball at the bottom of the well.

it is the one way valve that prevents the pressure from returning to the bowl.

#7 SakoTGrimes

SakoTGrimes

Aint got no Subaru!

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • Grants Pass

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:32 PM

I sprayed a ton of carb cleaner while revving the poo out of it yesterday and that improved the idle a lot but didn't clear up the sputter like I hoped. I will try to pull off the carb thing tomorrow, thanks guys

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users