Ultimate Subaru Message Board

advantage from hydro lifters?

Don't have to adjust them every 15,000 and quieter valve operation. They are also capable of higher reving, and stronger valve springs due to the steel push rods. Solid lifters have aluminium push rods with steel caps.

As for retrofitting - no, they cannot be installed to a solid lifter block without complete engine dissasembly (splitting the case halves). Even then it's a bad idea as they cannot be serviced (removed) due to the difference in the block castings. The push rods and the rocker assembly are also different.

All hydro lifter engines, and 83/84 solid lifter engines (manual trans) also have 2mm larger intake valves resulting in a 1 HP increase in engine rating.

GD

alright....i guess ill just use the heads off my '81 ea81 block..i dont care if they have a 1 hp loss....as long as they work....they have 2 bolta that need to be extracted 1 from intake and one from exaust......the bolts i guess broke off in the head......mendodave gave me the block when i bought the car....extracting those will be fun:clap:

alright....i guess ill just use the heads off my '81 ea81 block..i dont care if they have a 1 hp loss....

It's not the HP so much - it's the torque. The engine can't breath at low RPM, so the torque curve sucks on the small valve engines. Peak torque and peak HP are nearly the same, but if you look at the curve, it's quite a bit different on the lower end. Sadly the low end is what you will notice too - that extra 1 HP isn't going to make a noticeable difference at freeway cruise, but the extra air off-idle makes a huge difference in the low end grunt pulling power.

Same reason we put the huge 32/36 Weber's on in place of the 26/30 (or 28/32 on the EA82's) Hitachi: more air = more low end torque. High end isn't changed at all with a Weber - we do it for low end torque, and for reliability/tuneability. The added low-end makes turning large tires actually possible. The performance gain of a Weber or SPFI will be dramatically reduced with the small intake valve heads, and if you are putting heads on the engine, I wouldn't spend the time or money messing with small valve heads when there's tons and tons of large valve heads to be had cheap.

GD