Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Pump Not Running Properly

I have a goofy problem that I need a second opinion on.

Yesterday afternoon, I went to start my Loyale, and it started up just fine. I turned it off after a few minutes of idling, and then it wouldn't start again.

I connected the green test connectors and turned the key on, and the fuel pump didn't cycle. I could hear the relay clicking, but no whirring fuel pump. I checked all of the fuses and fusible links, all good. I spent part of the afternoon looking up replacement fuel pumps on the internet.

This morning, I tried cranking the car over, just for kicks... It starts up right away, no problems. I let it idle for a couple of minutes, then turn it off, and it starts right up again when I crank it. The problem seems to have disappeared.

So, opinions on the problem - is it fuel pump wiring, or fuel pump? Or, is it something else?

my BILs car had an intermittent fuel pump issue for a few months before I finally tracked it down.

In his case it would usually start when warm, not when cold. So, I thought it was a CTS issue. However, he was able to start the car by push-starting it (must've bumped the fuel pump).

Since I put a different pump in he hasn't had any issues. Only thing I can figure is that when the pump stopped in a certain place, it would catch, and not want to start pumping again until it was jostled around a bit.

Next time it doesn't want to work, connect the greens, then go tap (bang) on the pump with a hammer. If it starts pumping, it's the pump and not the wiring/FPCU.

-Dave

My Loyale did pretty much the same thing; it was the fuel pump going out. Until I put in a new pump, I found that I could smack the little shelf it sits on several times with a BFH to get it going. The time between hammer beatings kept getting shorter and shorter until I barely made it home one day.

No need to hook up the green connectors, just listen for the fuel pump when you first turn the key on. It should cycle for a second or so.

I'm sure there are other possibilities, but my bet is that your pump is going out, too.

I kinda figured it might be a dead spot in the motor, or a bad brush connection that only acts up in the cold. Oh well... At least I can get it running again. I have a pump I could rip off a donor car, but I don't know if it would last that much longer.

Thanks for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th opinions!