Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Outback Suspension Questions Help Please!!!

I have a 97 outback 2.5 auto that has 260,000 on the original struts and springs. I would like to replace them but want to know if stock is the way to go or if aftermarket ones will be better. If possible, getting a few inches of lift would be great too, since this is my backpacking vehicle. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning to do this myself, so i'm assuming that spring compressors are needed. Anything else? If anyone has suspension parts that would work, and they are willing to part with, offer away.

Thanks

mtnbob

please excuse my ignorance, i have never replaced my struts before on my outback. are used struts easy to come by? do i want to put used struts on my car? what about scorpion springs? just trying to learn

thanks

mtnbob

You can always watch the yards and pickup some used KYB struts.

That way you will not have to worry about the springs, just unbolt and bolt the new set in.

KYB are great struts but the ride will be stiff compared to stock.

Even new struts are going to feel stiffer then the old ones, no matter what you put in there.

Personally i wouldnt put in used struts. Springs arent needed if the car sits level and you dont tow anything.

I am at the same decision point you are. I may stay with stock springs, but i know i have one blown strut. I would like the taller springs but dont think its going to happen.

nipper

no, don't put used struts on your car. GR2s are only about 15% stiffer than stock and your old springs are fine. New sets on e-bay go for around $200.

The only way I know of to lift the car is with a scorpion kit. They sell lift block kits. King Springs of Australia also sells lift springs for Subarus but I don't think they have a distributor in the US.

would my stock springs be good at 260,000+ miles or do they need to be replaced also. would i benefit from aftermarket springs?

At that mileage, you or someone else should at least visually inspect the springs for major rust or obvious defects. To check for sagging, verify proper ride height. If you don't have the spec for that, a local body or alignment shop might do you a favor and provide the measurements.

Sagged springs lead to changes in suspension component angles, and that can lead to handling problems, so it's worthwhile checking if you're not replacing the springs. For the same reason, I don't recommend installing springs that lift or lower unless other things are corrected to accommodate the change.

If you put new struts in the old springs, make sure you mark the orination of the spring to the top hat with paint marker before taking it apart. It does matter and I had to take take mine back out to straighten it. If I remember right I think the two small holes in the top hat face to outside of tire.

I have a 97 outback 2.5 auto that has 260,000 on the original struts and springs. I would like to replace them but want to know if stock is the way to go or if aftermarket ones will be better. If possible, getting a few inches of lift would be great too, since this is my backpacking vehicle. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning to do this myself, so i'm assuming that spring compressors are needed. Anything else? If anyone has suspension parts that would work, and they are willing to part with, offer away.

Thanks

mtnbob

thanks for the suggestions. i have tried contacting king in australia about the springs. the problem is they are not sure what chassis i have. they have different models down under.

The part numbers are listed on the King website and you can order them from Renick Motorsports.com under the Scorpion name.

Here is a picture of my OBW w/ the springs and GR2 strut setup. For what it's worth.