Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel Economy--2003 Forester

My only complaint with my Forester is the mileage (kilometerage?).

I did a survey a while back and found people getting between 21 and 27 mpg on average depending on where the were and how the were driving.

I got 21 and 24 on a recent road trip in my Forester. Never been over 25mpg:mad:

It's a great car and you have to accept the mileage:banghead:

For what it's worth,

Glenn

82 Hatch, transforming....:temper:

01 Forester, jealous.......:madder:

I purchased a 2003 Forester last summer, and I have noticed that our Forester's consistently getting 20 mpg city and 23 or so on the highway. I am disappointed with the mileage, but, I guess, that's because of the AWD. My wife usually drives the car and because she doesn't travel far for work, the poor mileage hasn't been an issue yet. I am curious, though, how the Forester compares to other cars of the same class - CRV and Rav - mpg. If I want better mileage, I need to buy a Prius.

I think I've posted my bragging on my forester mileage..

I dont know HOW you kids drive or where you drive...

I get 28-32 mpg in my 2003 Forester. Lowest I've seen was 24 on a trip to Wyoming.

Try putting at least 89 octane in it... keep it consistent though..

I also noticed that my mileage went up by about 2 mpg when I started using Synthetic Oil at oil changes.

Don't use the AC as much and you don't have to floor it every time you move from a stop. Oh and get a 5 spd. The automatic is horrible for gas mileage. But keep in mind, most of my driving is done around sea level to 3000 ft. and at speeds from 20-55 mph. I get about 27 in town.

I also installed a hamster cage just behind my engine- I put one of the exercise wheels right next to the belts and ran tunnel tubes throughout the engine compartment. When Hampton and Harry get frisky... you'd better fasten your seat belt and hang on tight!

I noticed mentions about the AC not being used in the winter. I don't get it. All my older Loyale wagons automatically use the AC whenever the windshield defroster is used. Same goes for all my Chevy and GMC trucks. I thought just about all modern autos, that have AC, use it automatically in the defrost mode in order to dehumidify the windshield. Are Foresters different?

too stupid to notice.

When I press the seperate AC burron I can feel it kick in, but on defrost not at all.

Mine is a 99 and they may be more sophisticated on the later ones, or perhaps I don't notice because when my windows are frosted I am never driving in performance mode.