Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Horizontal radiator.........

chef_tim

Must......

Have......

PICTURES :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I got started on the rack to hold the rad today. Seem like the back side is going to be easier then the front. I'll be pulling air through the hood, and down passed the tranny

I'm try'n :lol:

Okay, I got a couple of early pics......

hood_hole.JPG

This is the hole for the radiator, heart breaking is having to cut through my SS decal by Mick:mad:

rear_rad_support.JPG

This is the rear braket, now to figure out the front:confused: :confused: :confused:

pulled_back.jpg

This is the end result of the whole project, I got my bumper pulled back a good 6-7". Now just finish the rad and give it a run:clap:

Later, Tim

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That set up looks awesome, man. It's great, and so confusing. Any guy somewhat familiar with vehicles and how they work will think something is missing on the front end... then they will see the hoodscoop and wonder if you turbo'd the rig... then be really confused on how your eliminating the excess heat.

I think the fans pulling the heat down past the tranny and out from under the car is definitely the best way to go, especially when the car is moving. I can definitely see your concern with your heat extractor being the highest point. One way to keep an eye on this would be to have the radiator tilted enough, first of all, and then have an extra thermocouple that fed a seperate gauge inside. Mount that sensor high enough on the radiator that would let you see the discrepancy in temperatures from the cockpit so you could check the coolant situation. Another way would be to mount some sort of clear tank on the hood, if that starts to empty... time to add more! :grin:

By the way excellent use of the spare tire area. :clap:

• 1 month later...

Okay, I've got it all back together and it does work:banana: :banana: :banana:

I just have a couple of small details to work out, one is a rubbing fan the other is where to put the displaced windshield washer resevoir. I haven't taken it on the road yet but I'm hopeing by days end. Pics to follow:headbang: . Tim

Update to the update.......

Good news and bad news.......

Good news is that my new radiator isn't damaged from the fan

Bad news, There is/was a small brass ID tag that caught the radiator fan, by the time I figured it out the fan is toast. $60 I don't have/want to spend :mad:

• 1 month later...

Okay. now it is finished:clap: . It does get alittle warm when it is just idleing. but once it gets moving goes down immediately. I'm thinking of going to a 180º T-stat to see if that will help keep it cooler at an Idle. You can definately feel the air going into the scoop:grin: . Felt good to drive my little hatch after having it sit all spring and summer:headbang: . Later, Tim