Ultimate Subaru Message Board

benefits of manual transmission?

BMW - hehe.

Audi has a similar setup, except theirs uses TWO clutches that switch off between themselves, so it can switch gears without removing power to the wheels EVER. pretty slick. Also drives like a manual - 6 speeds etc.

Also - I have driven my friends 98 A6 quatro, and I can say that it's tiptronic auto really does work quite well. Doesn't shift for you until slightly past redline (I can understand that since many people would toast the engines if allowed to go as far as they want). And it shifts fast enough. With an ECU upgrade, he could get it to shift faster, but it's already just a little over 1 second. Don't think I could shift faster than it by hand anyway...

Incidentally, I did waste him in my Volvo 850 turbo. He just couldn't hang with the inline 5 turbo. That car was a peice of crap tho, and I got rid of it.

GD

MilesFox, I went from a hand brake to the floor on my Ford Taurus, and I was too used to doing 180's when I missed my turn, so I just locked the mechanism open for the release with a small zip-tie. It was an auto anyway so I really didn't need the brake on an everyday use, I could cut the zip tie if I really needed it. So 180's were still there just stomped on the brake spun the wheels and floored it, sometimes included dropping the tranny into 1st or 2nd. Worked easier than a hand brake actually, both my hands could work the steering wheel. :burnout:

• 3 years later...

YOU CAN DOUBLE D CLTUCH AND HEAL AND TOE WOOOOOO! MANUALS RULE! it only took me about about 6 months to master manual, and i aint even legally driving on the road yet, ive been driving since i was about 11 and im just driving around farms and stuff, certainly has improved my offroad driving because of it!:grin: oh, and how can you not be able to drive a manual? if you said that where i live, you might as well not be able to drive! most of the tractors around here are all manual, so you really are considered useless if you cant drive a 'stick' shift!

manuals are cheaper to rebuild. less fluids to monitor and change, manual has front gear oil only, the auto trans has front diff gear oil and ATF both. if you're towing or using it for out of normal duties you don't have to worry about the ATF overheating. no filter to change (in the newer 98+ trans). it's easier to "rock" a manual trans if you're stuck.

since this is titled only about the benefits of a manual trans i'll leave out the benefits of an auto trans and the cons of a manual trans.

:confused: i'm curious how did a thread from 2003 come back to life?

nipper

Because people will always have a preference for one or the other.

I myself only have my daily driver anymore. It is a 89 GL with the early 4eat. I really love having the automatic. I got a kid to watch in back and coffee to drink in my cupholder, I don't need to worry about shifting. If I really do the 4EAT is good at engine braking with a downshift. I never really find it in the wrong gear. It seems to hold the lower gears well when going up big hills and doesn't hunt around too much. I particulary think my EA82 turbo benefits from the auto because it keeps the RPMs up between gears and shifts quickly so the boost stays pretty constant on acceleration.

Among different manufacturers, Subaru makes some of the smoothest, smartest, most driveable automatics. I'd say rated against other brands Subaru's 4EAT gets an A or even A+ grade. By contrast, their manual, is slow to shift(long rough throws), clunky, noisy, and prone to synchro deteriorization. They are durable enough, but unrefined. Judged against other manuals from say Nissan, Mazda, Honda, BMW, Audi, they get a C to B- at best. I really hate the on/off throttle jerkiness at low speeds in 2nd and 3rd gears around town. My buddy has a 5MT in his 94 Legacy, the jerkiness makes his wife nauscious. Oh yeah, didn't this whole thing start cause someones wife was unhappy? When the wife ain't happy, no one is.

Explain...please...

lol, ah right, well these are types of down changing, heal and toeing (one of which i have mastered quite well, the brats are quite well set up to do this) basically you are braking, changing down, and bliping the throttle to give a quick, smooth down change which lets you keep higher up in the revs, my old man taught me how to do it, lol, same with 'double D clutching' not sure if this is the acutal name for it, but o well, apprantly it was needed on some older cars to give a smoother down change as well, you depress the clutch, shift into neutrel, let go of the clutch, blip the throttle, hit the clutch again, select the gear, and release the clutch, all makes an almost unoticable down change, but works when im caining it!