Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil pan replacement, partial success

Just finished replacing my oil pan.

Getting the back corner bolts with a 1/4 inch extension and swivel was not that difficult. But...

the access holes for the two back center bolts were not big enough and I had to enlarge them with my Dremel (Thank God I had brought it to the cottage)

The oil dipstick tube refused to let go of the pan and I had to cut it loose with my Dremel (Thank God....)

Loosened the oil pickup tube and removed the pan.

Cleaned the engine mating surface (how soft can aluminum get...)

and put some Ultra Grey on the pan mating surface.

Removing the two back center bolts through the enlarged access holes was relatively easy but replacing them was hell. I could not get the right angle and the swivel was no help.

Finaly I think I more or less cross threaded them both but still could give them the proper torque.

No leak as of yet.

Thanks for the advice given.

If I had to do this again I would raise the engine. This said, I really hope I will never have to touch that oil pan again cause of the back center cross threaded bolts. Would be a pain to helicoil them.

For the first time since I began taking care of my car by myself there was a moment I thought I would have to have the car towed to the nearest dealer.

It's done now and, thank god*, there was still a beer left in the fridge.

* Must have been a hard day for an atheist to mention God three times...

:evil:

Guest cookie

one of my friends said you could have the oil pan off an old Ford for fifty years, crawl under, and still have the oil drip in your face.

This is why I no longer do in chassis engine rebuilds.

Guest EOppegaard

Well, I guess this is why I am taking it in to get serviced.

"If it's not electrical, get it out of here before I break it!"

I just wanted to tell it like it really happened guys, I did not want to discourage you. ;)

Some people on this board can do this with one hand behind their back. :eek:

One nice thing about the whole process though (on top of the pan having been replaced and not leaking yet...) , at one moment I had my girl friend lying beside me under the car and holding the pan while I torqued the oil pickup tube and stay. Is'nt that romance ! :lol:

Guest CROSSTBOLT

Hold on to that woman! You will look a lifetime and not find the other one that will do what she did!

Karl

PS: I got the other one!