Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2L Head Gasket failure. *PICS*

First thing. I don't believe there is a "problem" with 2.2L head gaskets.

Second. This is more of an informational, comparission (2.2L vs. 2.5L) thread.

The cause of this failure is PAINFULLY obvious. I mean it hurts to look at these heads. Someone has replaced the head gaskets once already. Poor wrokmanship is the cause of failure here.

OK, a little back ground on this one. 95K miles on car. Water pump, t-stat, radiator, and head gaskets have all been replaced. In what order is unknow.

Combustion leaking into cooling system. Very small leak at time of diagnoises. Current owner said car has only over heated on him once, after a long trip at highway speeds.

Engine block. To compair to the 2.5L. Basicaly the same. I am going to make some measurements later to determine differences.

2_2L_head_gasket_failure_012.jpg

Heads. Beware this is going to get ugly. Looks like the last person to have these off laid them on the side walk, kicked them down the block and back, then put them back on:eek:

2_2L_head_gasket_failure_017.jpg

Not so bad?

2_2L_head_gasket_failure_016.jpg

2_2L_head_gasket_failure_005.jpg

Ok, the nasty scratches in the surface of the head is what caused the leak this time around. What lead to the first replacement I geuss I'll never know.

Anyway. Some pics to look at. More info on the 2.2L engine to come. Maybe some head gasket pictures to compaire also.