Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2.2L Head Gasket failure. *PICS*

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WAWalker

WAWalker

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 829 posts
  • Montana

Posted 05 February 2007 - 06:51 PM

First thing. I don't believe there is a "problem" with 2.2L head gaskets.
Second. This is more of an informational, comparission (2.2L vs. 2.5L) thread.

The cause of this failure is PAINFULLY obvious. I mean it hurts to look at these heads. Someone has replaced the head gaskets once already. Poor wrokmanship is the cause of failure here.

OK, a little back ground on this one. 95K miles on car. Water pump, t-stat, radiator, and head gaskets have all been replaced. In what order is unknow.

Combustion leaking into cooling system. Very small leak at time of diagnoises. Current owner said car has only over heated on him once, after a long trip at highway speeds.

Engine block. To compair to the 2.5L. Basicaly the same. I am going to make some measurements later to determine differences.
Posted Image

Heads. Beware this is going to get ugly. Looks like the last person to have these off laid them on the side walk, kicked them down the block and back, then put them back on:eek:

Posted Image

Not so bad?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ok, the nasty scratches in the surface of the head is what caused the leak this time around. What lead to the first replacement I geuss I'll never know.

Anyway. Some pics to look at. More info on the 2.2L engine to come. Maybe some head gasket pictures to compaire also.

#2 Tech1967

Tech1967

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Canada

Posted 05 February 2007 - 07:02 PM

Looks like they used a die grinder and a coarse cookie. Fast but NONO.
Keep it coming, this is good stuff.

#3 _Aramchek_

_Aramchek_

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Williamsburgh

Posted 05 February 2007 - 07:12 PM

Hmm,I happen to have a mostly healthy looking 200k mile 2.2 sitting with a cylinder head off too,it's kind of interesting to compare to.

What year is that engine? The pistons look different from the ones in mine.

#4 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,253 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 05 February 2007 - 07:50 PM

i could be wrong but looks to be a phase 2

#5 WAWalker

WAWalker

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members