Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Squeak squeak squeak" went the suspension

Hi. I'm the proud owner of a 2003 Subaru Legacy Sedan, over 95k and running like a charm. I absolutely love my Legacy. However, in recent days the weather has gotten colder and generally more winter-like in my region...which is how it's supposed to be. My Subi's developed a rather dry sounding squeak in the front end that happens mainly when the front coil springs compress rapidly. At least, that's what it seems like. I called my local Subaru shop, and the man who sold me the car told me to monitor it - it's probably just ice in the wheel wells.

It doesn't seem to be affecting the handling, so I am inclined to agree with him. And, I know that it is winter, we did just have a couple of small storms...so more likely than not that ice and sludge building up in the wheel wells has been the cause of the problem. But my question is, does this sound accurate? Or should I just take it right to the shop, right away?

It may be something you have to live with. Winter makes cars squeek sometimes. The fix may not cure the problem.

I would inspect the bushings and struts. It is probably a tired strut dust seal. Does it go away after the suspension warms up? it may not since in single difgits suspension doesnt really warm up much, it just gets more flexable (like us).

nipper

It may be something you have to live with. Winter makes cars squeek sometimes. The fix may not cure the problem.

I would inspect the bushings and struts. It is probably a tired strut dust seal. Does it go away after the suspension warms up? it may not since in single difgits suspension doesnt really warm up much, it just gets more flexable (like us).

nipper

No, although you're right; the suspension hasn't had much chance to warm up these days. My mechanic says that there have been lots of people in with the same complaint since we had our first snowstorm last week, and letting the cars sit and thaw in the heated bay has been helpful as all of the accumulated wheel well ice and sludge gets a chance to dissipate. I suspected instantly a worn bushing, but as I listened to the noise more and thought about the notorious wheel well sludge problem it did sound more like an ice-related sound...

See, I just bought this car a little over a week ago and even though the roads I drive are rough, I didn't think they were rough enough to give the suspension a run for its money within the space of a week........

I have never had this problem. I would try and clean that area out and see if the sound goes away. Perhaps even spray/grease some lube in there to see if that take of it. If it does not, maybe the problem is bigger. IMHO.

I may take her to the garage this weekend and get her in the heated bay. It is not going to be above freezing for many moons in these parts, so cleaning that caked-on and frozen road sludge from the wheel wells may prove to be impossible if I attempt it on my own. If the cleaning does not eliminate the problem, then it is time for plan two...taking her in and actually getting her checked out.

So is there a fix for tired dust seals? My 2000 Legacy with similar 95K+/- mileage has developed the squeaking the rear going over bumps. Is it possible to lube and replace dust seals?

nipper

So is there a fix for tired dust seals? My 2000 Legacy with similar 95K+/- mileage has developed the squeaking the rear going over bumps. Is it possible to lube and replace dust seals?

usually some spray silicon will quiet them for a while.

nipper