Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ20TT in place of EA82T

I have ocassion to buy EJ20 twin turbo complete engine but without ECU. It would be nice to have 260 HP :-).

1. Does it fit to EA82T gearbox in my turbo wagon?

2. How easy/difficult is to find ECU and all wires for that engine? Is it possible to buy any aftermarket ECU for that engine with harness? How can I run it other way ?

Piotr

Originally posted by domator

Thanks for info.

But - apart of power holding - does it fits ??? All "phisical" connections?

Piotr

Nope , it sure doesn not. the motor mounts are different, the bell housing is different. .. every contact point for that enghine is different. you need to find an EJ tranny, rear end, and some of the suspension.

Caution on the Haltec, the wiring diagram is wrong, it cost me $300 to find out on UltimateRX. If you can find a Legacy Turbo, the wiring harness and ECU should work on that engine. If you get the twin turbo, the motor mounts may be different, some of the later EJ20 turbo engines have a tab on the motor mount, if you grind that off, the mounts will work. I', not sure what Calebz is talking about with regards to, "every contact point for that enghine is different", the fuel lines are the same, the exhaust system follows that same path and fits in the same space (if your car is a turbo already), the air intake is on the same side of the engine bay, so I'm confused by the statement. The tranny and rear diff is necessary because the tranny input shaft is at a different high then the EA series as well as the fact that the EA tranny will not physically bolt up to the EJ engine. The diff is needed to make sure that you match the ratio in the tranny. BUT, THE BIGGEST problem with installing a twin turbo is that the left turbo sit further back on the engine then the right side does, that causes it to interfer with the brake booster and the steering mechanism. It is a monumental task to reroute that turbo to clear all those components.

I was just trying to make the point that it won't just plop in and bolt up. The exhaust system may be in the same place(for a turbo car), but doesn't just bolt up to the old exhaust, the air intake is on the same side, but doesn't just bolt up to the old airbox. Hadn't thought of the fuel lines. they are pretty much the same

Sorry to confuse you Corky

Actually Calebz, the only difference in the exhaust is the diameter of the tubing, the EJ down pipe mate up to the exact same place as the EA down pipe does, but the tow systems don't mate because of size. Yes, the air boxes are not exact matches, but you can bolt the EJ air box weher the EA air box was. The tranny crossmember needs to be custom made using a XT6 tranny crossmember or a Legacy crossmember. The rear piece of the crossmember is too wide and needs to be narrowed. I'm more then willing to exchange e-mail with someone who want to know all the problems that I had doing this.