Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adjusting headlights

92 Loyale

How do I adjust my "high" beams to go a bit higher? I've had an accident recently hitting a stray dog accidently and since then they seem to be pointing a llittle lower than before. Nothing is broken, however.

In my judgment, I don't see far enough at night to drive 55-60, even with high beam.

It is a big single headlight.

I am aware of the screw to adjust the beam left to right, but the screw used to adjust up and down is hidden in it and apparently you have to remove the headlight to make this adjustment. Is there any way I can adjust it without removing the headlight?

Furthermore, if I remove the headlight, adjust it, then need it adjust it some more, I have to remove it again. There has to be a better way.

my bad man.. I musta been thinkin about my truck..

The adjustment screw is on the bottom like Subarube said... It is hidden not quite behind the bumper and that little piece of body panel that runs under the bottom edge of the grill. You should be able to access that with a 8 inch phillips and just pry up a little on the piece of body panel

heres an diagram.. see if it helps

[---] |-|-|-|-|-|-|-| [---] <---- Headlight

--*--------------------*-- <------ Height Adj. screw (*) (----) body panel

{--------------------------} <----- Bumper

Thanks but I know how to remove the headlights. I don't want to have to do that however, because that would mean I have to take it out, adjust the screw, stick it back in, check where the headlight points. Repeat. Likely several times. One of the screws (top/left one) is a b1tch to remove, even with a smaller 1/4" drive ratchet. There has to be a better way!

I have a multitude of screwdrivers but looking through my tool box, it doesn't appear I have anything which can reach that screw. Unless ti si bent in a special way.

you have to wedge the screwdriver between the bumper and the metal front trim under the light.

if you decide to remove the headlight(for other reasons) there are 4 10mm nuts on studs, need deep socket. the one by the battery is fairly easy, but if you remove the battery first. but the other side is behind the ac dryer(if so equipped) its kind of a pain to remove them, though

stick a long screwdriver in there.

i had to replace a broken headlight from collision damage. the glass part was removed from the light frame, i tightened the screw all the way before installing it. but the little plastic thing was broke, and turned with the screw. so i have a piece of radiator hose behind the light for now....(and its not my car):wave:

but the motro comes out to do the clutch and pil pump seal(again), so i will take advantage of the opportunity to tweak the light some more