Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brumby conversion: EJ22, hybrid AWD center lock, SUCCESS!!!

Phizinza

Some more updates:

My propshaft (tailshaft, some may know it as) was on it's way out when I put it in the car (5sp conversion needed a 2 piece prop.) So it was squeeking away at me.. Then it stopped one day, and then started to vibrate. Then it shuddered mostly on deceleration. Then it was just shuddering everywhere.. So I thought I'd grab a 'new' one from the wreckers. When I took mine out, it looked like this.

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/propshaft_grenade1.jpg

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/propshaft_grenade2.jpg

It has about 5mm movment in that hole.. I'm amazed it was still working like that...

I had some fuel pump issues as well. The hose I used for the inlet side of the pump wasn't fuel hose :rolleyes: and it was leaking, along with the gas fittings (I used silicon instead of thread tape and that fix it.) And after I replaced the hose the pump was making an horrid sound. I thought it was the pipe being kinked and had killed the pump, but after my brother pulled it off for me (I couldn't because I had a cyst removed from my ear so I couldn't look around very well or get under the car) we found it was just a silicone ring that must of been inside the tank that got to the pump... This is after I bought two more pumps from the wreckers cos I thought I'd need to replace it.. So now I have 2 spare pumps and all up the three have only cost me $60, so thats pretty sweet, I should be set for a little while now, and I can keep a spare in the car all the time.

Oh, and heres the new pump mount setup...

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/ej22swap_fuel_lines7.jpg

The radiator I finally got modded to fit better, no more rubbing hoses.

Not much to say, since I got it done at a shop.. But the pictures tell you everything you need to know.

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/ea81_radiator_modified_tophose.jpg

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/ea81_radiator_modified_bottomhose.jpg

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/ea81_radiator_modified.jpg

Stupid me forgot to (after telling myself at least 6 times to) take photo's of the original radiator and crazy thermostat housings that I bolted together to get the pipe to fit the EA81 radiator to EJ engine... It was a mess and it also rubbed the pod filter and the timing belt cover.. But this new setup worked good.. And the pipes are just cut from one pipe to fit a Bits-r-missin.

Thats about it.. Still having problems with the IAC, but I think another good clean might fix that up.. We'll see..

I'm going offroadin with a bunch of friends next week so I'll have plenty of photo's for you forumers then. Till then, enjoy yourselves. I know I will :grin:

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just thought I'd give a picture of what it looks like under my hood now, I'm hoping that's about all I do under there for a while now.

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/ej22swap_enginebay_14-4-07.jpg

CEL light wired in on the fan blower box. At night, when it comes on the foot well lights up green, but the light doesn't bother me because it isn't shinning in my eyes

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/ej22swap_wiring_cel.jpg

General picture of the interior on the beast as it is right now.

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/subarubrumby_interior_14-4-07.jpg

Subaru Liberty D/R cable lever, start button, diff lock switch, etc.

Close up of my start button.

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/subarubrumby_pushbuttonstart.jpg

I've been thinking of a name for her... I was thinking Elishus, as in delishus, beautylishus, etc.. I also had a thought maybe Phizelishus? But I'm liking Elishus. :lol:

I've never really had a name for her. a couple of months after I got her I thought of Slush Puppy. Cos I was driving through some deep slush and she loved it. That was right after I got the M/T's.. But it's not a very good name.

What do ya think of the new name?

HEY, Me too!!! except mine isn't green, and it's not mounted to anything. I'm not wiring it into the dash though, cause I don't think I'll ever have a neutral start switch wired up to it. so it'll always throw a code.

looks like you're all set, great work!!

I've never been good with names though...

cause I don't think I'll ever have a neutral start switch wired up to it. so it'll always throw a code.

I didn't wire mine up and it doesn't give a code for it.. Maybe that's something the auto ECU's had? Is there even a difference aut ovs manual with the ECU?

I think I just have to clean my IAC again.. We'll see. It's not bothering me much anymore.

I figured out how to get it to throw the IAC code 24. This seems to work everytime. Head down a steep hill in 4th, put it into 3rd and the light comes on. Then to get rid of it, as I'm coming to a intersection and I put it in 2nd from 3rd and the light goes out.. Confusing the hell out of me.. I mean, what makes it do that?? Weird.

It still only shows code 24 when I read the ECU and the light goes on and off. I thought if it had a code in there the light would always be on, maybe I'm mistaken?

I just added up my time log and it comes to about 110 man hours. That includes building the box, all custom parts to fix the engine and box, exhaust mods, radiator fans, fuel system, loom removal, cut down, install, etc.

I reckon about 3 times that in research and part sourcing starting from May last year.

Maybe I shouldn't of logged it.. that is a lot of time.

WARNING TO ALL BRAT CONVERTERS:

I'm very sure you will need a surge tank, I'm very sure you can't do this mod and keep your 55litre tank without a surge tank. My brother alos warned me that if it's getting that much air it might do damage so I have to go get fuel in the morning... :rolleyes:

I've been driving a lot now and the surge tank doesn't seem to be a need for my car. I ran it pretty low and have had no problems. My fuel starve problem was my IAC problem giving the ECU a safe mode setting where it cuts fuel at a particaular throttle position vs RPM.

I just added up my time log and it comes to about 110 man hours. That includes building the box, all custom parts to fix the engine and box, exhaust mods, radiator fans, fuel system, loom removal, cut down, install, etc.

I reckon about 3 times that in research and part sourcing starting from May last year.

Maybe I shouldn't of logged it.. that is a lot of time.

oh yea, and I'm sure I was well over 200 (probably closer to 300) with mine. with the 5 speed and 4WD conversions on top of the EJ swap. and the fact that I tried to do it the hard way first.....ugh.

oh yea, and I'm sure I was well over 200 (probably closer to 300) with mine. with the 5 speed and 4WD conversions on top of the EJ swap. and the fact that I tried to do it the hard way first.....ugh.

Well lucky for me I had a few VERY helpful friends on this board ;)

Cheers a billion.

It's good to have people willing to spend a little time and help out. Over on AUSubaru I read a post about someone wanted such a write up and most people said, who would do it, there would be nothing in it for them.. That's why I hand out here. :)

I now have to work on that IAC a bit more, and then rear, side and under facing lightage. I was also thinking about fixing up my original headlights. Doesn't Hella make a replacment for the quad lights? I'll have to ask that in the Old gen forum..

Well...

I think I have the IAC figured now.

I replaced the ECU and it's now only bringing up code 33. Which the other ECU didn't have, which is weird. But hey, it drives better now. Still need to change the plugs and maybe wires.

And it still needs more power :-p

• 1 month later...

You know how I was getting a random code 24 and replacing the ECU fixed it? Well now it's back.. ARGHHHH!

I'm going to replace the IAC next and see what the does.. I hope the ECU isn't dead as well as the other one now. And I hope it was just random luck that replacing the ECU and the problem going away at the same time wasn't related.

Oh, and now the ECU isn't giving code 33.. It sometimes does, and then after resetting it it's random when it comes back..

I'm starting to hate this stock ECU... Maybe I should start saving for an MSII? hmm

A couple of things....

First off, I havent read this thread in months and have forgotten 90 percent of the specific content of it.. so MAYbe you've already talked about this.. but I think I have an idea what the "something different" for the rear end you mentioned in the first post might be ;)

Secondly, out of curiosity.. I see that recent picture of the Brumby, and think that it just looks like a car that is almost 30 years old.. kind of dated almost. Now, I TOTALLY understand the appeal of this "look," and if that is what you want I do not quetion that.. (far from it... I feel you) BUT I have to wonder if you have considered maybe trying to remove the trim line on the sides, paint the bumpers and trim black, and basically re styling the vehicle to look a bit more modern. This would somewhat reflect the work you have done putting more recent engine and drivetrain (parts) into it, etc.. Essentially effecting a re-construction of the vehicle. a 2007 (ish) Phizinza-Subaru Brumby, if you will....

Finally..

ALL project cars should have the combination of ambition, know-how, ambition to learn, and ambition to accomplish that yours has!!

Yes, I have to admit I've been keeping a lot of it's 80's theme.. I kinda like the 80's car look (well some 80's cars were really bad, but you know what I mean.) I haven't thought much on modenising it.. I'll have to do some paint shopping and see what I can come up with..

I am pretty sure I'm going to paint the spokes on the wheels black, although this just enhances the 80's theme, as those wheels are very 60-70's...

You've got me thinking, but I still think I'm just going to stick with the styling of it's era, I just can't help it.

Thought I might elaborate a little more.. I was born in the mid 80's so I really didn't have to live with all those 80's fashions and cars.. Now I find "new" 90's and up cars look crap. I like classics (not really old, just good 'ol classic designs. Like the Dodge Charger. I don't like the design of it persay, but I like it's image, what it says just fitting there.. I like many other types of cars, and hate many as well. And they are not all just from the 80's. My favorites (cos I'm a lambo fan) are ones like the Diablo, and the Miura. I also like the 90's WRX (after the bug eye one I lost interest.) I like the Triumph TR4, 5 and 6. But not so much the 7.. And then theres cars I like for whats under them, not what they look like. But I won't go there.

Anyway, what I'm kinda saying is "new" cars just ain't my cup of tea..

Thought I might elaborate a little more.. I was born in the mid 80's so I really didn't have to live with all those 80's fashions and cars.. Now I find "new" 90's and up cars look crap. I like classics (not really old, just good 'ol classic designs. Like the Dodge Charger. I don't like the design of it persay, but I like it's image, what it says just fitting there.. I like many other types of cars, and hate many as well. And they are not all just from the 80's. My favorites (cos I'm a lambo fan) are ones like the Diablo, and the Miura. I also like the 90's WRX (after the bug eye one I lost interest.) I like the Triumph TR4, 5 and 6. But not so much the 7.. And then theres cars I like for whats under them, not what they look like. But I won't go there.

Anyway, what I'm kinda saying is "new" cars just ain't my cup of tea..

My take on it is best expressed in terms of Z cars...

If you take a 280ZX and clean up the exterior (shaved moldings, etc) you wind up with an older looking car rather than a newer looking one. they look more like the earlier, S30 Zs of the 70s... I was mostly thinking of shaving of the clunkier looking bits and giving the entire package a smoothing out; to me, it has the effect of actually taking the overall "look" of the car backwards in time.

I dunno, just a thought, like I said.

First off, kudos for such an amazing swap and integration of parts! VERY inventive.:clap: I've been watching this thread closely as I'm collecting parts and pieces for an EJ swap.

other side of the CEL needs power. the ECU grounds it.

Glad you brought this up, 'Chux! The stock EA CEL gets constant ground and the ECU switches 12V to turn it on and off. The stock EJ CEL gets constant 12V and the ECU switches ground to turn it on and off. Opposites. So, to make the stock CEL in the dash work you've got to wire up one side to constant 12V and the other side up to pin F47-19 on the EJ ECU.

Nothing a little time with some wire and a soldering iron can't solve, but I'd have been chasing my tail for hours trying to figure out why the CEL wasn't coming on even though there were codes in the ECU.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You'll find what you're looking for here http://offroadingsubarus.com/kumho_tires.html

And here http://offroadingsubarus.com/fenders.html

They are Kumho 27x8.5 M/T's on nissan 6stud rims. It's a 2" body lift and suspension isn't cranked as high as it can go because I was eating through axles.

I cut the rear of the front fenders, but I have also done a suspension mod http://offroadingsubarus.com/control_arm_mod.html (I have fixed it, just need to write it up again) that moved the wheels further forward. I then had to cut the front of the front fenders but I no longer need the rear cut (but thats how they are and they are staying that way..)

I'm looking at getting 27x9.5 Super swampers, or maybe even fitting some 29x11.5's? hehehe..

• 2 weeks later...

OMG... I am now getting random idle anywhere from 450rpm (almost stalls) to 2000RPM.. Really not fun as I like to engine brake a lot.

Oh, and no IAC code now either (that hasn't come back after I replaced the whole solenoid valve thingy.)

Only code is 33.

So, I know this was asked somewhere else about the EA82 VSS but.. How many ticks a mile or kilometer does the sensor put out? And do you think I can just stick an aftermarket sensor on my driveshaft or propshaft and wire it into the ECU?