Ultimate Subaru Message Board

U Joint park #

I need to replace the u-joint on my 87 GL wagon 4wldr. Anyone know the part number? Morries Subaru told me I could only get the whole drive shaft from them. I need the one on the read drive shaft, closet to the transmission.

Any idea's would be great, thanks guys

Guest subu luvr

"someone" here on the board, indicated a PB driveshaft

would replace a d/r driveshaft.......

casual examination seems to confirm, but i wont know till its too

late (as usual)

The u-joints are not replaceable. They are staked in.

Just two weeks ago I explored this situation.

1. New shaft from the dealer ~$500

2. Local drive shaft shop remakes my shaft with new yokes that accept replaceable u-joints ~$325

3. Shaft fromm pull n save ~$15

Guess what I did...

I disagree with post stating that the rear driveshaft u-joints are not replaceable. I changed many of them in my Loyales from 1985 to 1993. Yes, they are staked in from the factory, just as many other cars are including my 1979 Datsun 280ZX. The old joints pop out just fine, and the new replacements are held in place with inboard snap-rings. I buy them for $12 apiece.

I've also repaced them in my 87 and 89 Justys. Different part #, but still $12 apiece. I've met people that have junked their cars because they were told the rear shaft had to be replaced. It's a fairytale.

There are no grooves in the yokes for internal snap rings. Did you also machine these into the yoke?

What is the part # of the joint that you are using? What is the part # and source for the internal snap rings that you are using? Got any pics?

Pop out just fine? Why did Subaru stake them in? Mine would not "pop" out, not even with a 10-ton press....

Please enlighten the rest of us with some useful info, because we haven't figured it out yet. I even had the local shop try to replace the joints, they wouldn't/couldn't do it.

Thanks

I don't need to prove anything. Heck, I'm driving a couple of Loyales and a Justy with driveshafts I rebuilt. Forget NAPA. Rockford Driveline sells the u-joints and they come with full instructions.

http://www.rockforddriveline.com/ for the homepage, to be more specific go to http://www.rockforddriveline.com/Shopping/Cars_Subaru_07.asp

Loyale uses a part # 430-10 There catalog says years 1990-93, but they're the same back to 1985. Their phone # is 800-728-7237. I've got a stack of the joints sitting on my shelf.

I was in a hurry with my last posts and hadn't read through all the comments relating to rear driveshafts and u-joints. I've been a mechanic for over 40 years and have rarely encountered something that was not repairable. Sometimes a little researchg needs to be done. The Subaru driveshafts are not high-technology and are not uncomon. Many foreign built cars as well as as a few domestic cars have the staked in joints. The shafts do NOT need ANY machining to replace the joints. Anybody who's having their shaft machined is, more or less, throwing their money away. If anyone wants photos, let me know. My email address is jdemaris@capital.net

There are several companies that sell the joints, but I've bought mine from Rockford Driveline. 430-10 for Loyales and 430-9 for Justys. I paid $12 apiece, but I think their prices have gone up. They want me to buy a coulple hundred dollars worth and become a dealer, but I don't want to get that involved. There's a picture of the replacement joint (for a Justy) at http://www.rockforddriveline.com/Shopping/430-9.asp

Their instructions advise you to drive the old joints apart. I like to cut them with a torch. It's messier, but faster and easier. I file out the old stake marks and hone them a big so the seals on the new u-joints aren't damaged. So . . . I don't follow the directons precisely.

So far, I've replaced the joints in five of my Loyale 4WD wagons (1985, three 1987s, and a 1992). Also done it with my 89 Justy 4WD and my 1979 and 1981 280ZXs.

More comments. I see at: http://www.staugustinefwd.com/ the following is stated:

"For example "Staked-In Replacement U-Joints" will take you to cost effective alternatives for previously non-serviceable driveshafts on BMW, Datsun, Mazda, Subaru, Toyota, and others... Yes, those shafts costing up to $1,000 can now be serviced by St. Augustine FWD at considerable savings! See our Staked U-Joint section for more information and a chart of current availability."

They show a link to:

http://www.staugustinefwd.com/RWD/Staked/staked.html

It shows the catalog for the "non-replaceable joints" along with a picture, catalog, and dimensions.

Thanks for sharing your info! I wasn't asking you to prove anything, just to share enough info that I might be able to do this myself.

I see, the snap ring fits on the the u-joint itself, on the inside of the yoke. I'm going to order some joints and give it a try.

Hopefully, no more junkyard shafts for me...

Thank you.

The place I've been buying the u-joints from over the years provides instructions on how to knock the staked joints apart. Doing it there way will also push our the stake marks (I guess). But, as I mentioned previously, I don't do it there way. I find it quite easy to torch out the joints by cutting out the middle. Then I knock the caps in, instead of out. So, once apart, the stake-marks are still untouched and have to be removed. I have a drill bit that fits perfect and works quite nicely to make a rough cut, but I don't recall at the moment what size. I then touch it up with a die grinder. The removal does not have to be pretty or precise, but does need to be relatively smooth. If it's not, the rubber seals on the new replacements joints will get cut.

I've thought about buying a large amount of the replacement joints from Rockford because I've had the feeling they might discontinue them. That, due to lack of sales. For some reason, although they advertise, few people seem to know about the joints, and the old generation Subarus are disappearing (at least around here). Once they've seen a few winters here, they turn to rust and the rear springs break through. I keep buying Loyales down south and bringing them up here but they're getting hard to find in decent shape. I've got eleven 4WD wagons and two Justys in my field right now - all of which I had to stop driving due to rust. Every one of them still ran when I stopped using them; kind of a shame.

The salesman at Rockford offered to sell me new u-joints at a large discount if I bought a large amount. I didn't want to do it at the time. A friend of mine owns a NAPA store, and he was thinking about stocking them, but for some reason it never happened. Even the local Subaru dealer was sending people to me for information on the joints, but they refused to use them at the dealership since they are not official Subaru parts.

• 5 years later...
I don't need to prove anything. Heck, I'm driving a couple of Loyales and a Justy with driveshafts I rebuilt. Forget NAPA. Rockford Driveline sells the u-joints and they come with full instructions.

http://www.rockforddriveline.com/ for the homepage, to be more specific go to http://www.rockforddriveline.com/Shopping/Cars_Subaru_07.asp

Loyale uses a part # 430-10 There catalog says years 1990-93, but they're the same back to 1985. Their phone # is 800-728-7237. I've got a stack of the joints sitting on my shelf.

I know..I know this is an old thread but I am in the process of getting my ea82 5spd wagon up and running and I need to put in new joints.

My question is should I also order the High-speed CV boot kit as well, since I am going to be in there any ways replacing the u joints on the drive shaft?

Thoughts.

Only if your Loyale has a different driveshaft than any other Subaru I've been under. The only thing I've seen with a CV on the driveshaft was a Bronco II.

You can get under your car and double check, but all the EA82s I've been under had a regular universal joint there, along with the center support bearing.