Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

'95 Legacy Wagon Binding when turning left or right

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jim in braeside_*

Guest_jim in braeside_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2003 - 12:46 PM

I get this funny binding and shuddering when turning either direction. It only appears noticeable when moving slowly. It appears to be coming from under the middle of the car or towards the back diff. It binds, then lets go, binds, then lets go etc.
I read a posting about AWD kicking in when it should not due to differences in tire circumference.
Can someone explain how the AWD works and why this could be the culprit?

#2 Guest_Suzam_*

Guest_Suzam_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2003 - 01:27 PM

I would assume that we're talking automatic? If so your tire conditions could be an issue. There is also a torque binding issue where the clutch packs in the transfer case get worn and begin to grab when they are not supposed to. To confirm that binding is what is happening try inserting a fuse into the FWD slot inside the engine compartment near the firewall on the passenger side. If the problem goes away with the car in FWD then you could be looking at either of the two problems I mentioned.
I had a similar issue with our MY95 Legacy L but replace the wheels and tires with a set of almost new ones from a WRX, the symptoms went away so I think mine was a tire circumference problem. The old tires were nearing the end of tread life.
Read this archive link:
pub110.ezboard.com/fultim...D=86.topic
It might help you out.

#3 Guest_intrigueing_*

Guest_intrigueing_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2003 - 02:28 PM

Cross your fingers and it'll be the tires - air pressure, or you need a new set. The link that sam posted was my dealings with your problem. I have since replaced the tires and don't have to watch my air pressure much anymore. Just make sure you rule out the tire pressure and circumference before taking it to a dealer or someone to fix the problem, most just say bad trans when it is just the tires. Let us know what happens!;)

#4 Guest_jim in braeside_*

Guest_jim in braeside_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2003 - 03:30 PM

OK I will try circumference and pressure first

Thanks all

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users