Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej22 swap, tranny question.

testy

Ive done a search, but 5 pages in picking up random stuff I gave up. And I know you guys have the answer straight up.

If I were to swap an ej22 from an early 90s legacy would It bolt up to a 5sp EA82 tranny with p/t4wd (but set up as rwd). And if I wanted it all wheel drive what would I need to do? Researching the possibilities of a street hatch.

If you want AWD instead of part-time and are willing to sacrifice low range capability, the legacy 5 speed can be installed without much difficulty. You just need to get EA82T front axles, fabricate some tranny mounts, adapt the clutch cable and shifter, and alter the driveshaft. I used the legacy driveshaft because I've been told that they are more durable. It will bolt right up if you have the front section of it shortened by one inch. (I don't remember exactly what the issue was, but the stock EA82 driveshaft was going to have to be modified anyway, as it was either too long or too short).

• 2 weeks later...