Ultimate Subaru Message Board

subaru rock crawler project

subaruguru

hey every one i have a really goos idea about building a rock crawler subar and i gor a soob the other day for 100 bucks thats gona be my guiny pic lol my plans are gona be to lengthin the axles and control arms and do custom suspention it will look really nice when im done ill keep posting as i start getting into my (SRC) support would be great. thanks Rob.:lol::Flame: zzz :headbang: :headbang: :banana:

If your really serious about this and want to do it right i suggest you get in touch with "gotrocks", hes a new member here but he's very experianced with rockcrawlers...he built this: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=572074&postcount=14

I hope it all works out for ya, make sure you take pics of all the progress it'll be fun to watch it grow. goodluck! :headbang:

If you plan to only go slow in this rig, i.e rock crawling only you may bet away with just using high grade tube steel to increase axle leigth. Just get some with the exact ID was your axles OD and weld it in with a mig welder.

Do you want to run the same strut and control arm design or go to a double wish bone setup? You can easily increase the control arms with some thick bar steel and a mig welder. If I were to increase wheel base I would be looking at 4 to 6 inches each side. I would also do a 8" lift and use double wish bone with a extra t-case blah blah blah...

I was also looking at using two bigger 4WD IFS front ends front and rear on a subie, but if you want to keep it custom or Subaru, then that won't work. But it would give you 4WS if you wanted ;)

You could do it rather cheap if you know how to weld and know what whats and what doesn't when it comes to suspension..

As for power, if you use a extra t-case it won't bother you much, as crawling is normally slow. But I bet you'd want to go to a EJ sooner then later. Pretty easy really. Check out Rooinater's build up of his " lil' roo ".

Good luck, and take millions of photos! :burnout: