Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Poll: High compression turbo life

If you've had(or have:rolleyes: ) a High compression turbo, meaning a 9.5:1 or higher then 7.7:1 in a Turbo EA82, please tell how long it lasted, or is lasting and what you have done to make it last:headbang: or blow it up :Flame::dead:

Basically Vote on:

A. Barely made it out of the garage

B. About a month

C. 2-6 months

D. 6 months to a year

E. More then a year

F. I'd like to build one

G. Thats the dumbest thing I've ever heard

Thanks!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the main problem with ea82t's is that the heads warp, correct? well cryo treating cast aluminum improves its resistance to deformation under high temperatures. I've not heard much about its use with cylinder heads, but with cast pistons the gains are great enough that you can run tighter tolerances in some cases.

also maybe some copper head gaskets?

also why not just have the block or the heads decked or make a custom copper head gasket to get you into the mid to low 8's with the 7.7:1 pistons? mid 9's and turbo with a known weak engine like the ea82 just seems like way more trouble than its worth.

the main problem with ea82t's is that the heads warp, correct?

No - the problem is the lack of MLM gaskets, and the lack of studs to get decent torque on the heads. Several folks have detonated pistons, collapsed ring lands, and blown rods too.

also maybe some copper head gaskets?

also why not just have the block or the heads decked or make a custom copper head gasket to get you into the mid to low 8's with the 7.7:1 pistons? mid 9's and turbo with a known weak engine like the ea82 just seems like way more trouble than its worth.

Copper gaskets have been done. Didn't work any better.

The solution is to o-ring the block, have custom studs made to replace the bolts, and have massive amounts of computer management to hold the heat from cracking the weak coolant passages in exhaust port. But as yet no one wants to drop the coin on that stuff - especially when EJ's are so cheap.

GD

How would an EA81 handle this same situation? I'm going to vote for the bottom two myself. Might try to build my own before too long, see what I can make it work.

Maybe if you could find a reverse rotation water pump, put the t-stat on the water pump end, and run the coolant into the heads first, but it probably is more involved than that.

hehehe...kinda on topic...has anyone ever turbocharged a justy 3 cyl. engine? i know they came with mpfi in the later years......seems like it would blow the hell up

Might be harder than you think. And yes it's been done. On stock internals the Justy has shown to be good to over 11,000 rpm. It required modification of the valve springs and retainers plus a custom cam, and other goodies to get there. But the Subaru engineers were confident enough to take it to Bonneville, and it still ran as recently as 2002.

GD

Commonly reffered to as the Suzuki Swift Turbo..........

IIRC, there was also a Chevy Sprint that used the same engine.

When will people get it that the Justy has NO RELATION to the swift or sprint? :mad:

The Justy is entirely, 100% fuji. It shares no parts with any other 3 cylinder vehicles, and there was NEVER a turbo Justy. They aren't even the same size engines. The sprint used a 1.0 liter, and was availible in Turbo. The swift used a 1.3 liter 4 cylinder and was NOT availble as a turbo. The Justy engine is 1.2 liters. The sprint and swift are the same suzuki design, and while they look similar to the Justy, they are completely different.

Clutch's are easy to have made up. The Bonneville Justy was 120 HP at 9,200 rpm - again no turbo was used here either, but the engine was destroked to 1.0 Liter (997 cc) to fit in the class.

GD

Doesnt the swift share parts with the Geo Metro??

Anyhoo... it seems most voted about 1 month to a year, with most lasting 6 months to a year. Roni's car, then Mikes and now my car Dorothy lasted a bit over a year... Steve threw it together for the Dragon 2005, then we got it later that year... she had it 6 months and then Mike got it and it went a few months after that. Anyway, thanks for the input. Rick is thinking of turboing his XT swapped '82 wagon