Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to remove factoy head unit... To install 10 disc CD Changer

i have a 98 outback limited legacy... I 'm going to hook up a 10 disk changer and i'm not quite sure how to get my head unit out to connect the new changer... The head unit i have is a single disc with tape and weather band...

If anyone has any tips for getting the head unit out and cd changer installing tips id really appreciate it!

If theres any links on the web with instructions or photos that would also be great...

THANKS!!

I hope it's similar to a 97 model.

First you have to open the center armrest, and take out 2 screws holding the shifter cover.

Pull out the two covers, one near the driver's right elbow and one covering the shifter (it's easier if you manual put the shifter into 1st with the key in ON position).

Open the cup holder and take out 2 screws on each side. You can pop the center vents and hazard switch out, just pull on the whole panel - lightly.

Then take out the ashtray and there are 2 small screws underneath. Carefully take them out and don't lose the metal brackets that they attach to.

Take out the plastic center frame and you'll see your radio with 4 screws at the corners. Take those out and you can pull the radio out.

I'm writing this from memory, so i hope i didn't miss too much.

Im sure someone can provide pictures as well.

Hope this helps.

First of all, are you changing to an aftermarket head unit with a cd changer, or are you adding an FM modulated CD changer with a wired control?

I am not aware of any aftermarket CD changer being able to work with a Subaru head unit, and there are no adapters that I know of like there are for Alpine changers to work with Honda radios.

I have heard the argument that the Subaru system is either Clarion or Panasonic so their changers should work, but they don't. The Subaru changer is made by Clarion or Panasonic, but it is a low end piece of junk and Subaru insisted that it have a Subaru specific connector.

Also, all Subaru changers are 6 cd changers, a 10 won't work at all with the Subaru head unit (unless FM modulated).

I have a guide for the 2000-2004 Legacy/Outback radio installation here. The 1995-99 models are somewhat similar, in fact so are the 89-94 models...

You don't have to pull the unit out if you have small and very flexable hands, I know I had to pull it out to do any work on the back. If yours is like mine the antenna jack is tight in there and I would suggest pulling it out to get it plugged into the modulation unit.

There is an antenna extension cable from the radio to an area near the drivers side heating duct where it connects to the antenna cable (or at least there is on my 2001 Outback and 1993 Legacy). I think this extension is there because Legacy's can have roof, side-power or integrated glass antenna's. You should be able to find this extension without taking anything apart, but if you can't it is not all that hard to pull the radio. On your 98 the climate controls are separate, unlike the 2000+ models.